Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need Help

With the car almost dialed in. I take it out for a warm saturday drive got on a couple of times and then get back on the highway to go home. Now I had driven on the highway just 30 minutes ago but now I'm getting a wicked vibration in 6th gear. It doesn't matter the speed it is just happening in sixth
gear.
So I take the car into the shop that had rebuilt the transmission about 5000 miles ago.
They go through the car pull the trans and open it up. Nothing wrong that they can see. check the new Rxt clutch it has about a 100 miles on it. Put it all together same thing. So they pull the driveshaft and have it balanced. No difference.
I should say that everyone is probably saying its the pinion angle but the car had just been to a very competent shop that had set the angle up and had been fine.
Anyways they are now playing with the pinion angles but it does nothing to improve the vibration.
The odd thing is that the when there are two people in the car the vibration is worse.
The parts include a Rxt clutch, steel bellhousing, Midwest chassis 9" with there torque arm and wave track diff. the Lca's are Spoon adjustable poly poly.
I have used this shop many times and found them very fair with the price and the quality of work. They are a local sponsor for the corvette club.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:05 PM
TECH Resident

Sure sounds like the tranny to me. If it vibrates at 55 in 6th but not in 5th (for instance) I don't see how it couldn't be. That said, worse with 2 people could indicate pinion angle. Should be easy to set it to zero. My vibes went away at zero.

That said, Eric at MWC told me that u joints are made to run at an angle, not at zero. All I know is I had vibes ay -1.8 and none at zero. I have read on here people complaining that the Spicer slip yokes also cause vibes that have been fixed by going to. Mark Williams yokes.

I guess that is a lot of "that saids" sorry I can't offer any better advice. Good luck.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the reply, it was my guess that the trans was the issue but according to the shop they went through it and everything was fine. I have sent Mid west an email asking for any advice.

Quick Reply: Need Help