Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Max amps you've drawn from stock alt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Max amps you've drawn from stock alt?

Hi, I am looking to purchase an amp but need to know how many amps I can draw from the stock alt? So I was wondering what you all have drawing from the alternator. Also can list like your wrms, and if you have a cap or deep cycle battery. I plan on doing big 3 and using a multimeter to find my amp draws but wanted to compare it to everyone else's.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The stock alternator is rated at 105 amps. You can cheaply and easily install a KG3/AD-244 alternator from a truck/SUV rated for 145 amps, it actually makes more at idle than than the peak of the stock alternator.

Installing the Big 3, using only class D amps, and installing adequate gauge wiring will help improve overall efficiency.

As far as what the stock alternator can handle... it's difficult to say because you can draw down the battery for short bursts of heavy usage, then recover once you let off the volume. If you see your voltage meter going down even slightly when you crank the volume, it's time to get a bigger alternator if you want to be able to sustain that kind of a load/draw.

Last edited by Capricio; 10-27-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

What size alternator would you think I'd need in order to drive an amp that draws 80 amps?
Old 10-27-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd recommend the KG3 alternator upgrade to anyone with serious audio ambitions. You can get one on ebay for like $60 and it goes right in, there's really no excuse not to put one in. Try one of those first, and if you still find you want something better than that, be prepared to pay a lot more.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:34 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28SLPCAMAROZ28
What size alternator would you think I'd need in order to drive an amp that draws 80 amps?
You'll probably never use the full capacity of the amp. I'd suggest buying an ammeter, like you mention above, and then installing the system in your stock car. You can then measure the real draws on the car and decide if you need an upgrade in supplied power, or not.

The stock 105 A is a lot of power and the car rarely uses it all. (Without a sound system - maybe you'd get there if you operated the headlights, rear defogger, power seats, air conditioning, and turn signals all at the same time...)
Old 10-29-2012, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Ah, ok thank you all! I'll check into the kg3 alt since it is only $60...

Quick Reply: Max amps you've drawn from stock alt?