Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low coolant light

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Low coolant light

Had my coolant flushed at the dealer like 100 miles ago. My coolant light was on when i picked it up. I returned the car and had them bleed out the air from the cooling system. Light was off when i picked it up. I have been driving for a week or so with no problems. Yesterday I was driving a noticed a greasy substance in my wheel well. It was coolant, it looked like it overflowed in the resivor. When I started it ythis mouring the coolant light was back on. Can I had some water in there to shut the light off or what? My engine temp is normal and no white smoke is coming out of the tail pipes. Any advice would help. Thanks. Happy Easter everybody.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:51 PM
Teching In

i had the same thing happen when i got my car flushed to get the dexcool out of it. the light came on right after i left so i went home let it cool down and checked the coolant level. the radiator was pretty low, when they do the flush the car heats up and the coolant expands so it looks full when it really isn't, check your radiator level when the car is cold and top it off if it is low, that should take care of your problem
Old 04-11-2004, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

did it work?
Old 04-12-2004, 11:01 AM
11 Second Club

If your car is a 99 get used to it that low coolant sensor is tricky. in fact 2 of mine have gone bad. That's why they did away with them in 00' so that it wouldn't set off the light anymore. you can try checkin your fluid level. if that is ok then clean the sensor it about 6 inches below the radiator cap. if that doesn't work get a new sensor or simply unplug the senor.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

I tried to top off. The radiator was alittle low. Added fluid till it was full. Checked the resivor and it was ful. It keeps overflowing and leaking out. What i dont under stand is why the resivor is oveflowing and the radiator keeps going low. This didn,t start happening until i added headers and the engine temp went down alot. I mean i dont even see the first line after 160 mark(185 or so). I have the stock thermostat still in. Should i change this or what? Any help would be helpfull. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:21 AM
STF Veteran

Sounds like your thermostat might be partially stuck closed. It's cheap and easy to replace, give it a shot.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:34 PM
11 Second Club

update?
Old 04-14-2004, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

I took it to the dealer. They said it was just overfilled. Not sure, but just said what ever. I guess i will have to see if it does it again.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:15 AM
Staging Lane

I'm having a similar problem. I've flushed and filled my coolant about 10 times to different cars, and I've done it to the Camaro 3 times already. So I assume that I know the drill. However, after the last time, I get the low coolant level light. Its always full in the radiatior and reservoir. I got an aftermarket radiator and replaced the sensor a couple years ago. Now the interesting part is that the light will actually go away when my car is hot.

LS1INSIDE, when the sensor goes bad, does the light still turn off when the car heats up? Oh..one more thing. I need to turn the car off and on for the light to go away.

Thanks...
Old 04-22-2004, 01:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Zanthius, mine does the same thing. I also have a 99. I cleaned the sensor with a Q-tip and that made the sensor go away for a couple of weeks, but recently it has come back on. I can usually get mine to turn off by turning the car off and then on (like when I am at a stoplight). The only problem with cleaning the sensor is radiator fluid comes rushing out when you're trying to clean it, so I just blocked it up with some towels while I did it, plugged it back in and it was fine. From what I hear, this is a common problem and it will probably never go away. Is this true, or can I get a sensor from a different year to prevent this from being an ongoing frustration?
Old 04-22-2004, 01:57 PM
11 Second Club

On my car actually I think you guys just jinxed me since the low coolant light just turned on!!! lol well all I do is clean it and then it works if that doesn't work I just replace the sensor, and if I want a permanent fix I just simply unplug the sensor. I think only 98-99 cars got this low coolant sensor I think they got rid of it in 00-02 cars. The light will stay on for the remainder that the car stays on. then when you turn it off and turn it back on it will take like 30 sec. for it to turn back on. hope this helps
Old 04-25-2004, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

well...mine actually just went away...it didint come back for the last few days...i didnt do anything to it...

however i just spent the last few days installing my new cam...so drained and refilled my coolant again...hope that the retarded light doesnt come back on...crossing my fingers...

Last edited by Zanthius; 04-26-2004 at 10:14 PM.