General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil change light

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change light

Ok so I changed the oil in my car a couple weeks ago. A couple days after the oil change light starting coming on when I start the car. It stays on for about 30-45 seconds then turns off. I'm positive it did not do this before I changed the oil. The oil gauge sits right in the middle or a little above the middle when the car is on and running. I've checked the dip stick twice since and it reads the perfect amount. The car runs perfectly fine. Just wana know if this is something I should have checked out or is it nothing to worry about?
Old 10-28-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

if you didnt reset the oil light when you changed the oil, thats why its coming on. turn the key to the on position and hold down the trip reset button for like 5 seconds and the turn the key off and then start the car. should be fine. it states how to do this in the owners manual also
Old 10-28-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Undertow74
if you didnt reset the oil light when you changed the oil, thats why its coming on. turn the key to the on position and hold down the trip reset button for like 5 seconds and the turn the key off and then start the car. should be fine. it states how to do this in the owners manual also
Oh ok didn't know that, thanks.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

further curious question! i did a search and this is the only similar post apparently

similar issue here with recent oil change light however i have close to 1k on this oil change. Does this Oil change light sense the actual quality of oil or simply go by a preset odo mileage reading? ( as its been a while im not 100% but fairly confident i forgot to reset the light)

Quick Reply: Oil change light