New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak after installing new oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought a BMW that had a LS1/T56 swapped in and sent the trans off to Texas Drivetrain Performance to have it rebuilt. While it was out I replaced the oil pan with a new GM Performance pan because the old one had a small crack in the bottom. Well it started leaking oil out of the bell housing area and looks like a rear main but I never even took the clutch off. So I dropped the suspension out of the car and replaced the gasket and put The Right Stuff on both sides of the gasket and resembled the car. Now it is leaking even worse. I am not sure what I am doing wrong and need help.

Is it possible that the rear main or rear cover have developed a leak?

The only things I touched on the engine were: The transmission, took the intake manifold off, and the oil pan of coarse. I torqued the oil pan by the main 10mm bolts first then the bellhousing bolts.

I also noticed the car leaks worse both times when it is jacked up and doesn't leak unless it is running. It appears to be coming form the inside of the bell housing.

Here are some pictures that aren't very good but please help a noob. Thanks

Only about two minutes of running.

Also is it worth it for me to buy GM gaskets or would I be fine with felpro? I am less than impressed with the horrible casting of the oil pan. The original was much better casting.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you sat under the car while running and watched it pour out, that size puddle you should be able to watch it come out. The felpro gasket is fine and you should NOT have to add any silicone to your gaskets. Also might be a long shot but you could have broke the oil pressure sending unit when taking the intake off and it's running down the back of the motor. Not sure how your brake booster vacuum hose is ran but its a big problem in the F-bodys when pulling the intake.

If you end up pulling the pan off I would put a straight edge across the oil pan mating surface and make sure its straight since you mentioned the casting is suspect.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:59 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you check to make sure that the oil pressure sending unit is seated and torqued correctly? This has been a culprit for a few.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 10-31-2012, 11:32 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by conan
Have you sat under the car while running and watched it pour out, that size puddle you should be able to watch it come out. The felpro gasket is fine and you should NOT have to add any silicone to your gaskets. Also might be a long shot but you could have broke the oil pressure sending unit when taking the intake off and it's running down the back of the motor. Not sure how your brake booster vacuum hose is ran but its a big problem in the F-bodys when pulling the intake.

If you end up pulling the pan off I would put a straight edge across the oil pan mating surface and make sure its straight since you mentioned the casting is suspect.
After reading the rest of the thread, I realized that conan had already posted this before.
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 10-31-2012, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

I checked the oil pressure sending unit and everything is dry up top. I decided just to pull the engine and trans back out again yesterday and the rear main does appear to be leaking. Not sure how it started leaking from sitting but it does look like it is. Bought a rear main set today but not sure if I want to put the rear cover gasket on.

Also do you leave the plastic on the seal when you are putting it in? I read that somewhere on here and wanted to verify that. I am assuming that the plastic comes out on its own from being seated.

Lastly I am not sure if I want to put some locktite 518 on the surface the gasket hits the back cover or should I just put it in completely dry?

At least the clutch was completely dry even with all that oil in there.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:13 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

To help you center the seal, you could loosen the rear cover bolts, install the seal and the re-torque the cover bolts. You will want to leave the seal on the plastic for the install as well it will center the seal on the crankshaft, and with the cover bolts loosened, it should slightly move the rear cover.
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 10-31-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good to see you got something figured out. Sucks you had to pull it all back apart though.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

If I loosen the rear cover shouldn't I reseal the corners with RVT afterwards?

Also since the flywheel bolts are pass through bolts should I put loctite on them or will the oil make that pointless?

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

I put some blue lock tite on my fly wheel bolts when installing, haven't had any problems. Might be worth it to remove the rear cover and change the cover gasket with the rear main seal and add a dot of RTV to the corners.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

I pulled everything all the way apart again and did it right. New seals and gaskets for the rear cover and oil pan and The Right Stuff thinly smeared over all of it besides the rear main obviously and it turned out great. Thanks again for the advise guys.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by redline61
I pulled everything all the way apart again and did it right. New seals and gaskets for the rear cover and oil pan and The Right Stuff thinly smeared over all of it besides the rear main obviously and it turned out great. Thanks again for the advise guys.

Glad you got her fixed.

Quick Reply: Oil leak after installing new oil pan