Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Just swapped out my rear end

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just swapped out my rear end

Well the rear end in my ss was blown and i didnt have the money to have some one fix it for me so the car just sat there for a few weeks until i decided to do it my self and being i had no clue on how to even start and didnt have many tools i was a little nervous ,I tried to find a how to on the forums to give me pics and a write up on how to do it but was unsuccessfull so i went into it blind . I had a rear i picked up off craigslist for $200 stock gears ,10 bolt , stock gm rear . I jacked up the car in my back yard put it on jack stands and went under the car just to look and see what was connected to the rear ....heres what i did weather it was wrong or right the cars back together and driven fine ! please be nice it was my first time hahaha

ok first i backed the car into the back yard duh ... grab a sheet of ply wood and put it under the car because i have no garage and didnt want to lay on the ground and i didnt want it in the drive way because i didnt know how long it was going to be apart for once the ply wood was under the car i jacked the car up and put the jack stands in and removed the jack lowerin it onto the jack stands , I pushed on the car to see if i had good support from the jack stands . I removed the wheels , then the calipers , caliper brackets , and rotors , I then slid under and looked to see what was goin on I first removed the bolt on both lower control arms , then the pan hard bar , I removed the sway bar link brackets from the body of the car and left the hole thing connected to the rear , I then disconnected the driveshaft after that i put the jack back under the pumpkin just to hold it up because i was about to unbolt the springs , I unbolted both springs and bangs the bolts out i then lowered the jack slowly and took the shocks out and then worked on taking the 2 bolts out of the torque arm once i took those two bolts out of the torque arm i lowered the rear down a little more and disconnected the brake lines after that i rolled it out all done it was out . I put it by the one that i had and being i had a 4 channel and the new one was a 3 channel the brake lines where a little different so i just switched them over . I put the new rear on the jack rolled it under the car and just started bolting it back up it took me once it was bolted in i hooked up all the break lines and bleed the system and i was back on the road again , took me and my friend a total of four hours to complete i didnt take pics the hole time which i should have only a two once it was out
Old 10-29-2012, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pics of rear
Attached Thumbnails Just swapped out my rear end-rear-end-work.jpg   Just swapped out my rear end-rear-end-work1.jpg   Just swapped out my rear end-gun_girl2-400x600.jpg  
Old 10-29-2012, 12:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

congrat !
with the 3 channel replacing the 4 channel,in order to ABS & TC working,you'll have to put/install your 4 channel axles and backing plates into/on the 'new' rear.

Quick Reply: Just swapped out my rear end