Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Replacing Rear Brake Hardline

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Rear Brake Hardline

Hi all,

I recently replaced all of the rear hardlines and front/rear braided hoses on my '98 Z28. It was instigated by a leaky hardline that was near the driver's side rear wheel well. I made a union upstream near the transmission housing since I didn't want to replace the entire rear hardline. However, I have attempted to create the union three times and it continuously leaks. I tried brand new unions and fittings each time. I first tried standard hardware, then tried metric, then standard again. After every attempt, the union always leaks at the upstream side of the fitting which is flared onto the stock hardline. Could the hardline be rusty enough it is hindering a solid seal to the flare? I believe the flare is coming out correctly because none of the other flares I have made are leaking.

It seems to me a union will not work and I am ready to replace the entire line from the ABS module back to the center-rear hose. Problem is, the hardline leaving the ABS module has a short compression fit hose about 8" long before it returns to hardline down where it mounts to the frame.

If I replace the entire hardline from ABS module back to the rear center hose, with straight hardline (no hose), what kind of problems would I encounter? Why does GM have steel braided hoses on all four lines coming from the module? Is it for ABS pulsations? Engine heat protection? Or to assist engine installation at the factory?

If I need to replace this hose, does anyone know where I could find one? My searches have come up empty. I'd rather not get it from someone parting out...

Sorry for such a long story, but I appreciate any information. This one has me frustrated...
-Bryce
Old 04-08-2015, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im in the exact same situation with my 2000 Camaro Z28.

Did you ever figure out your issue?

I too am curious if I can run straight hardline from the ABS Module to the rear of the car.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Replacing Rear Brake Hardline