Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo 402 leaking oil around bell housing

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo 402 leaking oil around bell housing

This is a c5 with a ls2 402 and a single 76mm turbo. I drove the car about 6k on motor and have had the turbo on for a few weeks now. I am getting oil on my pan and a drip on the bottom of the bell housing. I cleaned it and have let the car sit and there does not seem to be any oil accumulating. I have cheked the oil pressure and sending units and they are dry. I am thinking it is either leaking when hot or under boost. I have 2 breathers and am pulling vacuum from the tb and the intake on the turbo with check valves installed. When I get home from work today I will post some pics I took.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

Also car does not smoke or seem to lose any oil and dyno'd 645hp and 685 tq at 11 psi.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the turbo have its own oil lines? From the way you describe if no oil leaks when it was naturally aspirated, and the leaks started when the turbo was on I would think its in the turbo oil lines...
Old 10-31-2012, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
Does the turbo have its own oil lines? From the way you describe if no oil leaks when it was naturally aspirated, and the leaks started when the turbo was on I would think its in the turbo oil lines...
It does have a line there is a spacer that goes between the oil press and the filter thats where the line tee's into. there does not seem to be any oil in that area though. I may move the line to the side of the block like when I had my super charger on the car. other issue is there is oild around the pass side header and oil leaking around the number 7 cylinder. I checked tq on the head bolts, look at the valve seal(which I replaced 2k ago) did a compression test on all cylinders and they were between 160-165 cold.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

This is the drivers side.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have any pics of your PCV system or can you draw a diagram, I'm not understanding your description. Also have you checked your cold side plumbing to see if there is oil in it?
Old 11-01-2012, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by conan
Have any pics of your PCV system or can you draw a diagram, I'm not understanding your description. Also have you checked your cold side plumbing to see if there is oil in it?
No oil in the cold side piping and the car does not smoke or burn oil at a rate I can notice. here is a drawing of the pcv its the rx catch can with 2 check valves installed I tested them both to 20psi and they held.

turbo 402 leaking oil around bell housing-pcv.jpg
Old 11-01-2012, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

so I was under the car again and noticed the lower oil pan had a crack in it. I removed it cleaned it and sure enough there was. I bought some metal putty stuff and put it on there as a temp repair. So I dont know if thats where it was coming from but I think it def has something to do with it.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hopefully that's your problem. Your PCV setup looks good to me, My first thought was crank case pressure. I pushed my timing cover seal out on the dyno on the stock pcv... What a mess. Update after you get some run time on her.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Hopefully that's your problem. Your PCV setup looks good to me, My first thought was crank case pressure. I pushed my timing cover seal out on the dyno on the stock pcv... What a mess. Update after you get some run time on her.
Will do thanks for all the input, it leaked enough to form a drop on the floor so hopefully it was that causing all the oil instead of the rear main.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

well drove the car last night and did not see any oil drove it to work today so when I go home for luch I will check again and let everyone know what happens.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ghost-1
well drove the car last night and did not see any oil drove it to work today so when I go home for luch I will check again and let everyone know what happens.

Hopefully thats it.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Hopefully thats it.
I am about to jack it up again and take a good look and make sure that there is nothing going on. Seems to be fixed though Just need to find a new lower pan.

Quick Reply: turbo 402 leaking oil around bell housing