General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

installed 9" rear, now speedometer/ABS not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installed 9" rear, now speedometer/ABS not working

Just recently finished putting a wavetrac in my 9", buttoned her up, and on the first test drive, the speedometer did not work, and the ABS kept kicking on at low speeds. Other than that, it drives great...just no speedometer. Once I get going from a stop, the ABS will kick on randomly until I get up to speed, then it rides smooth. Once I start coming to a stop (around 20mph or so) the LOW TRAC light comes on, as well as the ABS kicking on and fighting my foot on the brakes, until I come to a full stop, then it turns off.

I am thinking since I had to take on/off my wheel speed sensors on the backing plates, they may have some crud on the magnetic pickups? Not really sure, what could cause me to not have any speedo and my ABS to go crazy?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:38 AM
TECH Resident

pull your wheel off and brakes and check connections / wiring. make sure the sensor is installed correctly.

did you change tire size/gear ratio...etc?
Old 11-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
pull your wheel off and brakes and check connections / wiring. make sure the sensor is installed correctly.

did you change tire size/gear ratio...etc?
No tire size change, stock 275/40-17 all 4 corners. Rear gears were changed to 3.50's from 3.42's. I guess I should mention that I originally put the 9" in a month or so ago, and decided on a spool. Well, the spool didn't work out, very rough for street driving every day, and saved up the $ for a wavetrac. While I drove the car with the spool in it, the speedo/ABS worked just fine, nothing was wrong. Took the axles out to a machine shop as one of the studs broke on me while driving, the spool caused so much vibration in the rear and the lugnuts backed out over time. I bought new ARP studs and took the axles to a shop to have the bearings/backing plate/reluctor wheel pressed off/back on in order to get the broken stud out/new studs in.

I'm going to take off the tires tonight to check and see if there's crud on the magnetic pickup, not sure what else to check, these were working just fine before. I am also going to check and see if the reluctor wheels are wobbly while spinning (air gap between pickup and wheel), to check and see if they were pressed in correctly.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Just got done pulling everything apart, checked the wheel sensors, nothing visibly on them, checked the reluctor wheels that were pressed on and both seem to be on straight. Also noticed a sensor unplugged at the tranny, plugged that bad boy back in and went for a test drive. The speedo works now, but it is way off. ABS is still kicking on at the same time as it was before. Put an OBD2 scanner on it and it gave the codes c0046 and another about the speed sensor. Reset both codes thinking I had solved it, but it came right back..anymore suggestions?
Old 11-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Staging Lane

bump..anybody?

Quick Reply: installed 9" rear, now speedometer/ABS not working