Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What bushings are you running and why

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What bushings are you running and why

My 01 SS is due for new bushings front and rear. I've found the Energy Suspension polyurethane sets that are available on Summit and considering those.

I'm sure they will be stiffer/firmer from the stock rubber bushings but I wanted to see what bushings others are using and why they went with those. Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages with them.

I searched the stickies in both the suspension section and the general maintenance section. I hope this is not the

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by juSStin4171
My 01 SS is due for new bushings front and rear. I've found the Energy Suspension polyurethane sets that are available on Summit and considering those.

I'm sure they will be stiffer/firmer from the stock rubber bushings but I wanted to see what bushings others are using and why they went with those. Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages with them.

I searched the stickies in both the suspension section and the general maintenance section. I hope this is not the

Thanks!
Search.
Poly bushings in certain areas (like control arms) can cause bind, hurting handling and ride and in one case on here breaking a stock control arm.
Stick with moog rubber replacement bushings (they are the same as the special handling package 1LE cars got).
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=18&ModelID=7
Old 11-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been considering replacing the sway arm bushings with poly as well. I have seen alot of discussion about motor mounts but would like to hear from people running poly in other locations.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my thoughts/experiences on poly:
-not in caster position for front control arm (have seen many pictures of the failures)
-alright in rear control arms, but not ideal for handling (had poly, went to 1le)
-panhard bar they're fine, I just keep them really well greased
-motor mounts I like poly, stopped shifter movement and slop in drivetrain, no vibrations
-transmission mount it took a few thousand miles to break in, now feels like stock
-torque arm mount I like it, better than beat up stock rubber
-swaybars/endlinks I like it, no negative side effects from my experience
Old 11-05-2012, 03:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I Agree ^^^, but also not in the rear control arms, and in only one end of the PHB.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not disagreeing with any of the posts above, just giving my opinion

I have (red ES) poly bushings all around (upper and lower a-arms, rear control arms, poly/rod end phb, all sway bar bushings/links) and I'm happy with the ride quality. I adjusted my camber and toe this past weekend and the lower a-arms articulate fully with no more effort required than the worn rubber bushings I replaced. Everything was well greased before installation as per mfgr's requirements.

I'm pretty lucky as the roads here are pretty damn smooth and the roads that aren't, I avoid. That said, I wouldn't call the ride quality rough or in anyway unbearable. I can feel more of the road surface but it isnt bad, if that makes sense. Its like switching from stock 16" wheels and 50-series tires to 19's with 30-series tires... its not bad, just different... and, in my opinion, better

My car has never seen a track and never will. I am in no way a professional nor do I claim to be, however, I do drive like a pissed off teenager and if I'm on an empty country road, I will often try to take corners 2 or 3x the suggested speed limits and the car responds very well

Quick Reply: What bushings are you running and why