General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Air pump code!

Old 11-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air pump code!

Getting kinda befuddled about this code that keeps kicking on. 2001 Trans Am LS1. LM1 but the code would randomly go on and off before I put that on. It is the code that refers to the air pump. I have pulled the hose off from the airbox and it was sucking upon start-up. I have checked all associated fuses and at this point I don't know what to do except ask ls1tech. I have searched previous posts but it always just leads to someone saying to delete it. I have emissions where I live so that is my last resort as I really don't know how to erase the code if I did take it out.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

i had this same problem. it was throwing the code when i bought it (thats why i bought it so cheap ) but i ended up taking out the pump and having the code tuned out at a performance shop. i did take it out and examine the pump though.

the pump was completely filled with carbon deposits and had seized up or failed. if all fuses and circuits are good with the pump and they have no leaks going to the headers then i would look into replacing the pump.
If you have emissions where you live, don't let people tell you to delete it, its not a performance mod it just takes out some engine bay space and very small amount of weight.
If you have the money, its very simple to change out the pump there's even a little trap door in front of the front tire to access it. that may be the 2nd to last resort but if all else is correct that should be the only thing left that could be faulty, since the AIR system is a very simple system. hope this helped
Old 11-04-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What is the code number you are getting? The air derverter valves have a tendency to seize up. They are the back bell looking things, that are connected to the air lines that go into the exhaust manifolds.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by seawolf18
What is the code number you are getting? The air derverter valves have a tendency to seize up. They are the back bell looking things, that are connected to the air lines that go into the exhaust manifolds.
Long time bump. Sorry but I thought I had it knocked out. Now it is time to go get emissions tested and the light has been on for 2 months straight now.

It is the P1416 code.

I pulled off my air pump today and tested it. It works fine when I rigged it up to a few wires, blew like a champ. I'm thinking it may be one of the valves but how can I test them? I had my buddy try to blow into the tube above the drivers side fender well and he couldn't. Does this mean it is blocked? Should I buy both valves or what?

Tags are out at the end of this month and I'm freaking out!!!
Old 02-18-2013, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

The code does not tell you which side it is at all??

If not , they are not all that costly from Rock Auto, so I would just replace both of them (I did).

While you have them off it is not a bad idea to get some cheap, long handled, very narrow wire brushes from Harbor Freight and run them through the air pipes leading to the manifolds, to clear out any carbon deposits causing blockages.

Also, make sure all of the clamps on the rubber hoses coming from the air pump itself are tight and secure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air pump code!