Sponsored by:

Looking at buying a WS6

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at buying a WS6

Good evening gents,

Its been along LONG time since I been on these forums and I haven't owned an F-body in over a year, used to have a 98 camaro z28 and sold that and bought a bike. after playing around with that and finding it wasnt for me I went looking for a new car, I was looking at buying my old car but a good friend said that would be a bad idea ( had somethings wrong with it) so I ended up buying a 2001 dodge dakota RT. I do not enjoy it as much as I thought I would. It is quick but nothing beats an ls1 with a 6 speed in my heart, that being said I am on the prowl again for a F-body. I found one today at a used car lot. The guy just got it and its kinda worried about it because it has nitrous hook ups and he is afraid that it might be missing parts. He let me turn it on and check it out and as it does have the hook ups its not connected to anything (its just the hose) and it also has a speed bleader, so Im thinking it has a new clutch maybe too. It has aftermarket springs on them from what I can tell and the dealer said the rear end is stiff, so Im sure the guy dragged it. It is lowered and maybe has LT or mids couldnt tell. also have corvette rims.

Really what my question is, what are the problems of buying a car that used to have nitrous? It sounds like its built a little bit and used to hvae gauges on the A pillar. I like the car but I am not rushing at all. Im going back Monday to test drive it and see how it drives and take it to a mechanic to have them check it out. I really want to get one of these again BUT I can also wait.

Thank you guys.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My personal opinion on this is to not get it, only reason being is you wouldn't know who did the work before you. I have no problem buying a modified car as long as I know who did the work so I know it can be reputable. I would wait and try to find a stock one.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Teching In

If you have a good mechanic i would let him look at it and see how it checks out. Get a borscope in their see what it looks like. Also the real big question is what is he asking for it? Im curious cuz im also a car dealer. If its cheap then figure some repair cost in their. If its not cheap STILL figure in repair costs. I would want to do a cold start on that car and check for any smoke out the tailpipe. Never know this could either be a turd or a forged well done gold mine. Im sure that dealer barely knows about that car. Good luck and buyer beware!
Old 11-05-2012, 06:45 AM
Staging Lane

He said if he doesn't have to put money in it 8k as is. It has a aftermarket exhaust I do not know if it will pass Inspection for that. North Carolina laws btw. And he doesn't know the car at all i know more them him. I'm going yo look at it with a friend today and take it to a mechanic today or later this week. I'm excited bit holding myself back. And thank you for the replies.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate not knowing a cars mods.. Guessing game unless you tear into it.

Unless its just a really good deal id pass.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

Went to go look at it with a friend and wow can that thing pull. was in first gear doing 30mph floored it and dropped the clutch and I was spinning and started to go side ways. Was a blast. Got to the mechanics (redneck kinda guy working on engines for years since 11yo) anyways:

Nitrous was set up wrong. Wasn't shooting in fuel at the same time as nitrouS (never knew this)
Had maybe a stage 3-4 clutch
Had longtube headers
Engine was stock had stock intake and heads and fuel injectors.
And sounded like a nearing was loose?

Oh and had different springs and subfram connectors.

Thing was a beast and a blast sad its messed up and I can't buy it but it's smarter and ill have to wait to fime that gem.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

with all that previously being done to it...it would be neat to be able to contact the previous owner and talk with him. if not......id pass. no telling how bad the motor could be hurt. If your planning on buying it to race, then just go ahead and forge the 346-347 and call it a day. should bring you to about 11-12k if the car is 8k and you get a kit from speed inc and a deal on machine work and assemble it yourself.

i bought mine from a woman. 1 owner. every receipt, window sticker with the backing not even peeled off. original salesman business card, and not one mod done to it with 30k miles. I had to pay, but it was a great starting point. Only thing wrong with it was what you pay for a car in that condition. i still stole it. deals are out there...keep looking. you may even check out classifieds on here and find a way better deal with more info. and more feedback from the seller on what your getting. glwp
Old 11-15-2012, 05:50 AM
Staging Lane

Well im going to go look at it again today. My wife is being more supportive about it.

Update: dealer said he would work with me and get some cash in my pocket if I buy it. So ill be doing my research on it and taking it to another mech to see what needs to be done again and if I can get away with emissions.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:03 AM
Banned

What dealer? I assume you're a marine because of your location, I spent 5 years up there. Where does he come to the conclusion the fuel wasn't spraying? Nozzle or plate? Fpss? Your best bet and easiest way to see what's going on inside the engine is pull the plugs and read them. That will tell you the story and its free to do. Hope this helps
Old 11-15-2012, 07:11 AM
Staging Lane

U save auto. And he came to that because the fuel injectors are stock. But I was wondering maybe when he took out the nitrous he removed the injectors also. Since the engine doesn't sound stock. But this is the first time hearing Lt on an ls1 also.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Banned

Was it a wet kit? If that motor was eating straight nitrous it would have went lean and that would be about all she wrote. I would find another mech, I ran a 100 shot wet kit on my mustang with 19# injectors btw.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:03 AM
Staging Lane

I don't know. It smells like its running lean now, if you go behind it you can smell the fuel. It has Lt and no rear o2 so maybe that has something to do with the smell?

Looked at it last night again and the dealer agreed to have the mech give him the price to make it pass inspection (cats and egr valve) he said tires should pass. When he gets that price we will talk what he can give me for my truck and what he would price for the car and then go from there. I will post pics this weekend. Looks amazing flawless paint from what I can tell. Engine bay needs some work like white powered on the wheel wells.

Car runs strong and kicks you sideways. I think if im smart about it it will be find. Didn't check the belt but if you try to turn the wheel at a stand still it will badly turn if at all bit moving it will turn. Power steering reservoir is there so maybe sorter belt?
Old 11-16-2012, 07:03 AM
Staging Lane

and thank you for the advice everyone.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Banned

If you smell fuel its rich bud not lean. I would suggest you find a good mech or pm me and ill get one of my buddies that's still up there, and see if he has tim to check it out
Old 11-16-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Injectors could have stayed stock on a wet kit.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

I meant rich haha sorry im on a phone and typing these real fast. I trust this guy to be honest with you. He has been nothing but honest and he seems to know about his engines. He was just worried because they had stock injectors. didn't know if it was wet or dry and no way of telling. He was giving me his thoughts. And he might have heard a spunned cam bearing. I will try to get another guy on a different forum to come look at it. I'm also trying to find out if someone knew the original owner.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock injectors are fine... Not something I would really be worried about unless it has some donkey d*ck type cam in it. What year is the car?
Old 11-16-2012, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

2000 with 102500 on the clock. Runs strong shifts strong. Sounds nice

Quick Reply: Looking at buying a WS6