General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How to remove driver seat without power to the motors

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove driver seat without power to the motors

So I need to remove the driver seat.

Currently there is no power to the motors that adjust the seat, so the covers for the front seat bolts are abstracted.

How would I go about doing this? i.e. is there a way to manually move the seat back?
Out of the two motors that are under the seat which one is for moving it forward and backward?

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Are you trying to remove the seat so you can fix the power problem? If so, there are easier ways to do that.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Its a long story, currently and for short future car has no power at all
i need to remove driver seat now. Is there a way to do it?
Old 11-03-2012, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure if this would work but one time I needed to put the power windows up on a disabled vehicle I took a battery out of my cordless drill and a couple of wires and ran it straight to the power window harness. Maybe you could find a wiring diagram so you know what wires you're looking for. Not sure if it would work but might be worth a try depending on how desperate you are. Hopefully somebody with more knowledge about the power seats will chime in since mine are manual. Good luck.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:59 AM
Save the manuals!

^^^ There you go. Just hook a battery to the power connector under the seat.

The sets have a good draw to them, so a cordless tool battery may not work. (It would also need to be 12V.) It sounds like you have access to a free car battery at the moment, right?
Old 11-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Teching In

The method mentioned above, will work the plug for the power has orange and black wires.

I forgot to mention another problem I had, the power seat switch was not functioning and actually was shorting out.

So I removed a philips screw from the back of the seat, that holds the plastic panel with the switch attached to it, other screws were not reachable. There might be a screw that holds the panel in the middle of the seat, but mine was missing. After that I was able to expose the back of the switch by bending the panel to the side of the car.

The switch has a socket on the back. The socket has a cap with small tabs. With a small screw driver pry the tabs (3) around the edge open, you will be able to remove a small cover. You will see some contacts exposed. You will also see to two tabs closer to the middle of the plug by prying those open you can remove the socket.

With the back of the socket exposed.... you can hard wire the seat all you want. The tan and light green wires in the middle move seat forward and backward. Wires close to the front move front up/down, wires toward back move back of the seat up/down. I used an 18V power tool battery (not that it matters, but the battery was discharged) and alligator clips. I will post pictures later. Note the contacts can be removed from the socket, so that it might be easier to get a old of the contacts.

To remove the seat bring it all the way up, and move forward and back to expose needed fasteners.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got it. I used a 14v battery when I put up the window. It went up real quick lol.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Teching In

Just wanted to add some pictures in case someone runs in to this problem.

First picture of switch dis-assembly. The tabs are visible.
Second picture of the wiring where you can see which wire to apply power to and also a good document on color coding.

Note the green stuff...oxidation, the reason why the switch did not work.
Attached Thumbnails How to remove driver seat without power to the motors-2012-11-04-12.05.32.jpg   How to remove driver seat without power to the motors-2012-11-04-12.10.07.jpg  
Old 11-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Save the manuals!

Looks like the switch got wet/soaked at some point.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Teching In

u R correct sir.

Quick Reply: How to remove driver seat without power to the motors