Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with crazy (and/or stupid) idea

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with crazy (and/or stupid) idea

I'm doing a build on a 1970 camaro with the idea of pro-touring it, without it looking like it was modified much.

ie I ordered the 17" aluminum z28 wheels from year one, raw metal corvette disk brakes, vintage air to the stock a/c controls and stock body work etc

My question is this, I'm putting in an LS with a t56 behind it. Is there a way to use a tbi kit with a carb manifold on an LS engine, maybe fast's or edelbrock's kit? I'd like to be able to keep the look of a carburated sbc without actually having one, covering up the rails and electronics with a large air cleaner and clever wire management.

Is this just a horrible idea or doable?
Old 11-03-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Abomination
I'm doing a build on a 1970 camaro with the idea of pro-touring it, without it looking like it was modified much.

ie I ordered the 17" aluminum z28 wheels from year one, raw metal corvette disk brakes, vintage air to the stock a/c controls and stock body work etc

My question is this, I'm putting in an LS with a t56 behind it. Is there a way to use a tbi kit with a carb manifold on an LS engine, maybe fast's or edelbrock's kit? I'd like to be able to keep the look of a carburated sbc without actually having one, covering up the rails and electronics with a large air cleaner and clever wire management.

Absolutely doable and not uncommon for guys like yourself who want EFI but still want the "old school" look under the hood. If you use the FAST EZ-EFI system or any of the other aftermarket throttle body EFI kits, it's included controller will run your fueling and you'll just need to buy an MSD 6010 or 6012 box to run the ignition. The 6010 is for the 24x reluctor wheel motors (mostly pre-05ish) and the 6012 is for the 58X reluctor wheel motors. Both boxes operate exatly the same otherwise and come complete with ignition harness. Its what all of us carb'd LS guys run.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Abomination

Guys run carbs on LS motors. It's not as easy and just bolting one on though. And you're going to have all the problems you would have on a carbed SBC (cold starts, fine tuning, etc). Most of us do this swap so that we can have a dependable, good mpg classic car. For every carbed LS you find, there's probably 25 FI.

That being said, if a carb is what you want, go for it. It's just gonna be more hassle.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran a Holley Commander 950 on mine for a while (pic below), and if the stupid IAC motor didn't keep sticking on it, I'd still have that set up. It ran beautifully when it behaved. Now I have an Edelbrock Thunder AVS carb, and it runs great all the time. Yes, I do have to do the warm up boogie with it for about 4 or 5 minutes, so that is a small drawback. But it's minor.

FWIW, if you're going with a TBI system, you really can't go wrong with the FAST or Edelbrock.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GC99TA
Absolutely doable and not uncommon for guys like yourself who want EFI but still want the "old school" look under the hood. If you use the FAST EZ-EFI system or any of the other aftermarket throttle body EFI kits, it's included controller will run your fueling and you'll just need to buy an MSD 6010 or 6012 box to run the ignition. The 6010 is for the 24x reluctor wheel motors (mostly pre-05ish) and the 6012 is for the 58X reluctor wheel motors. Both boxes operate exatly the same otherwise and come complete with ignition harness. Its what all of us carb'd LS guys run.
Thanks, thats what I wanted to know, I appreciate it

Quick Reply: Help with crazy (and/or stupid) idea