New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Else Disappointed With LS1 Performance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone Else Disappointed With LS1 Performance?

After years of hearing about and reading about the LS1 and it's near legendary status, I've finally got one. I went from a money pit never working right 94 z28 to an 05 non-supercharged Saleen Mustang to this WS6. I just got this car and put off driving it higher rpms until I knew everything was good. Now that I have, I am disappointed. It doesn't really impress me or put me back in my seat at WOT. It feels a bit slow. After I bought the car the dealer told me as I was leaving that he thought it was faster than a C6 they had in the lot. I disagree. I've done a full tune up and nothing appears wrong other than a noisy valvetrain. The lower rpms pull decent I suppose but the top end I thought was supposed to be brutal, even on a near stock. I don't know if I've just set the bar so high for this car after years of anticipation, or I've been in driven faster cars before finally getting this one that my standards are too high. Has anyone else felt this way when they first got their car?
Old 11-04-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
After years of hearing about and reading about the LS1 and it's near legendary status, I've finally got one. I went from a money pit never working right 94 z28 to an 05 non-supercharged Saleen Mustang to this WS6. I just got this car and put off driving it higher rpms until I knew everything was good. Now that I have, I am disappointed. It doesn't really impress me or put me back in my seat at WOT. It feels a bit slow. After I bought the car the dealer told me as I was leaving that he thought it was faster than a C6 they had in the lot. I disagree. I've done a full tune up and nothing appears wrong other than a noisy valvetrain. The lower rpms pull decent I suppose but the top end I thought was supposed to be brutal, even on a near stock. I don't know if I've just set the bar so high for this car after years of anticipation, or I've been in driven faster cars before finally getting this one that my standards are too high. Has anyone else felt this way when they first got their car?

I felt the same when I got mine, but then I got it to the track and realised it was running 8.50's on an automatic with no tune, and in need of maintenance. That is not bad at all for a 10 year old car, when comparing it to the new camaros and 5.0's etc.....

A little TLC takes em a long way. Cam, Headers, 420rwhp. 11 second car. almost 2 seconds faster with just two mods.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get rid of the Chokemaster and find out why your valvetrain is noisy. Could be many issues in the valvetrain that can affect power.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The butt dyno can be very misleading as well Sometimes a car with a more "peaky" type power band can actually feel faster (like a 05 gt lol) but not be. Just something to consider...
Old 11-04-2012, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Get a stall, new catback or TDs, headers, and cam. I dont think youll be complaining. In stock form LS1's arent gifts from God. Its the fact that the mods are pretty cheap, easy to install, and how well the engine responds to said mods..
Old 11-04-2012, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the replies, GMMG/Madhammer catback is already en route.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like your LS1 is beat or your expecting too much...When I had a bolt on LT1 that ran 13.3's in the late 90's I though the LS1 felt slow until I raced a stock one and he blew me away...Power comes on smooth, not low down and grunty like the LT1. Your dyno numbers are good for what you have done...maybe its just you lol.

Last edited by MonmouthCtyLS7; 11-04-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Stock yeah. The are legendary cuz when you start modding they pick up power with ease. Install headers,normal bolt on, and a camshaft you have a great running street car. Who cares about stock
Old 11-04-2012, 11:37 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Anyone Else Disappointed With LS1 Performance?

Has anyone else felt this way when they first got their car?
Not me. I got my first LS1 in 1999, and at that time it was the fastest non-exotic new car you could buy, other than a C5. I had been in faster cars that were heavily modified, but never a stock car that was this fast.

But that was 13 years ago.

These days you have stock cars, such as C6, that run 10mph faster trap speeds than a stock LS1, not to mention the 5.0 GTs and 5th gen Camaros that are also are faster than a stock LS1 car. So I guess an LS1 might feel "slow" to someone that is already used to newer performance cars that are faster. But compared to the average car on the road today, a mild bolt-on or even stock LS1 is still a quick car.

Originally Posted by Blu99T/A
Get rid of the Chokemaster
The difference in power between catbacks isn't going to make a car that currently feels slow, suddenly feel fast. Will a different catback allow more power? Sure, but you're talking about a small difference on an otherwise stock car, which isn't going to lead to a macro difference in overall performance. Looking at the OP's dyno numbers, they are already good for a lid/catback A4 car, so I doubt there is much to be gained with a catback swap at this point.

You're going to need to do something bigger, like LT headers plus a re-tune at least; that should be a noticeable difference that you would feel. If that's still not enough, look at some heads/cam packages. It's not hard to get any LS1 car into the 11s with mods that are still totally streetable.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 11-04-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:18 PM
11 Second Club

My car makes decent power now, I started all the way from 313whp stock to a little over 500whp and have hada LS1 f-body since I was 16. (my first was a 98Z28 and my 2nd is a 01 SS.) I drove a stock Ls1 a while back and was like wow this thing is slow lol even for a stock car.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Go buy another mustang.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Not me. I got my first LS1 in 1999, and at that time it was the fastest non-exotic new car you could buy, other than a C5. I had been in faster cars that were heavily modified, but never a stock car that was this fast.

But that was 13 years ago.

These days you have stock cars, such as C6, that run 10mph faster trap speeds than a stock LS1, not to mention the 5.0 GTs and 5th gen Camaros that are also are faster than a stock LS1 car. So I guess an LS1 might feel "slow" to someone that is already used to newer performance cars that are faster. But compared to the average car on the road today, a mild bolt-on or even stock LS1 is still a quick car.

X2

I got my Z28 in April 2000, traded in my 1988 Nissan 300zx it was retarded fast compared to the 6cly 3.0L. Now the 520hp I have feels slow LOL. I think you have driven some fast cars and 320hp isn't shocking to you any more.

As rest said get your self some long tubes, Y pipe, cat back, cam, stall, and a tune and you'll find this motor responding to mods better than alot of other platforms. I think this motor is legendary for being 15 years old (people still want them too), good power in its stock form, and the sky is the limit for mods and power goals.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

LT's not possible for a California car. Shorties are a waste so might as well keep the manifolds. I was trying to keep the motor basically stock and focus on gears, stall, and suspension, but I see now that I'll need at least a smog friendly cam.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Teching In

this is my plan.

cai
all the free mods i can muster up
telstars or equivalent, skinnies and et streets
stall converter
nitrous and tune

im hoping for deep 11s by next summer.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^sounds like a good start^^. It never hurts to ask questions,or search, there's a plethora of info here. Welcome

And yes o.p they are legend (wait for it) dary!!.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

LT's not possible for a California car. Shorties are a waste so might as well keep the manifolds. I was trying to keep the motor basically stock and focus on gears, stall, and suspension, but I see now that I'll need at least a smog friendly cam.
Does anyone still offer a basic forced induction kit that is CARB approved? If so, I would recommed that bolted to your stock engine.

If you are insistant on staying NA, then I would do ported heads along with that mild smog cam (upgraded heads could make more power even with a stock cam). Such a small cam by itself isn't going to be worth much in the way of gains so I would definitely address the heads as well, but your NA power level will still be far below comparable builds that have LT headers and bigger cams.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

I just bought a '00 WS6/M6 that's stock except for a CB and shifter...it feels like a slug compared to my 460+rwhp GTO, as it should. Once I mod the TA like the GTO it might be lights out for the Goat, lol. Most performance cars feel "slow" stock, thats why we mod them, haha.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

All that slowness can be avoided with an LS7 or LS9. But, if you really need to be impressed and have your spirits lifted, step up and get an RHS block and push the limits to 500 c.i. LS1 was the first model of the LS family. You know not to expect much from anything of a first model and a base model at that. That's why Chevy came out with an LS2, LS6, LS3, LS7 then LS9. So, with all this being said, let's not expect too much from the new, Gen V LT1. Maybe the next couple of series are going to be the straws that breaks the camels backs...like whatever LT? version they put in the C7 Z06.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO, you just set your expectations too high that's all.
I bought mine back in 1998 brand new, and I never thought the top-end was brutal; good but never brutal. Even now it's not brutal, but it's a lot closer!
Old 11-04-2012, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with the others, sounds like you are expecting too much from it. Going off of the numbers in your sig it seems like it's putting out normal LS1 numbers for the couple of bolt-on's that you have done.

My car is pretty much stock minus a catback and lid and it still very much impresses me past 4k. I will say though since I've had it for a while, it definitely feels a little "sluggish" under hard acceleration at anything below that. I have definitely driven other cars with better low-end feel. But, it could just be me.

Quick Reply: Anyone Else Disappointed With LS1 Performance?