What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Price check: 98 Trans Am with a 402

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Price check: 98 Trans Am with a 402

So I'm at a crossroads of deciding what to do with my paper weight..err...I mean car. Its been sitting for five years and I'm just not finding the motivation to finish it. Talked with Rick @ Synergy last week and am planning on taking it to him this week to finish everything. Problem is, I'm having second thoughts about spending the money on it. So...I'm here to get an idea of what this car's worth.

The basics: 98 T/A, with custom paint. Viper blue painted stripes with pearl white clear coat. 6 speed conversion with LS7 clutch, brand new bearings/gears in the rear end (3.73s). Grey leather interior in good shape with only one small rip in the driver seat. Tinted windows. The car has a total of 70,000? miles on it.

Walk around of car as it sits now..(with the old 5.7 engine)

The new engine is a brand new SDPC LS2 402 with Eagle crank, Wiseco pistons and texas speed stage 3 heads. The cam is a custom "smog legal" grind from Futral Motorsports. Corsa exhaust.

It needs to have a full tune done, oil pump swapped for a new one and the pushrods checked for proper length. And it needs to be smogged obviously.

Price check (option 1):

I sell the car as is. Untuned/unfinished.

Price check (option 2)

I finish the 402 and sell it with the new motor.

Price check (option 3)

I pull the 402, buy a used complete/stock/running engine and sell the car.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

From a purely unemotional standpoint I would take my losses and just sell the car 'as is'. I wouldn't drop one more dime in the car because you will not get it back. It appeals to very few and those few (younger males) have very little cash. I know it will hurt to lose what you have put into it so far but the best thing is to start over. Don't compound the monetary damage buy sinking even more $$ into it.
www.kbb.com under 'private party' values in your zip code will give you the likely price you can sell the car for. Don't expect anything extra for the paint or anything else you have done. Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Price check: 98 Trans Am with a 402