Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best mechanical speedo kit for 6 speed ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best mechanical speedo kit for 6 speed ?

I have searched & so far only found a Tailhousing kit from Street & Performance . Is this our only option ,it is pricy at $523.95.
My customer wants to keep his factory mechanical speedo .Thanks
Old 11-06-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Cable X has an adapter to turn the electronic speed signal into a motor drive to run mechanical speedometers. They are a little cheaper, but pricey as well. Here's some info on them

http://www.corvetteclocks.com/index_files/Page1148.htm
Old 11-06-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Go with a Richmond 6 speed?
You could also look into converting the existing speedo to electric. I did that on a mechanical tach.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks , the Cable X looks good & $200 cheaper ! He already has the T-56 & Likes the dbl overdrive .
Old 11-06-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello my conversion was done by a guy named Dan, his screen name is "Alloy" on TeamChevelles.com or Chevelle.com I paid around $360.00 including round trip shipping, but this about 1.5 years ago, I don't know if he is still doing them, I think his email was alloyspecialties@yahoo.com

He did a great job, I supplied him with my rear gear ratio and tire size and height and he calculates which drive gear needs to go on your tailshaft and which driven gear goes in the tail housing, he supplies all the gears and speedometer gear housing. All you need is new oil, some silicone to reseal the tail housing and I installed a new rear seal to be on the safe side, I just purchased a new oem style speedometer cable at the local parts store.

Yes I still have my VSS as well as it powers my cruise control, which works perfectly. My speedo was off and reading low by about 3mph according to my iPhone GPS, I talked to Dan and he said to change the driven gear to one with either one more or one less tooth I can't remember but apparently each tooth will change it by 3mph, I can't remember if I had a blue or brown gear but I switched it and it read perfectly with my iPhone GPS, the gear was like 3-4 dollars at the GM dealer and took about 3 minutes to install.

I first tried the Abbott CableX but it sent my speedometer needle to around 550 M.P.H. And broke the needle, I should have spent a few extra dollars in the first place instead of trying the CableX box.

Last edited by lizeec; 11-06-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Best mechanical speedo kit for 6 speed ?