Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pistons Rings Fried?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 06:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pistons Rings Fried?

Okay yesterday at the family party I was moving my car and the motor was cold. I stepped on it a little bit up the driveway and when i got back my uncle "whos races cars" says that it was smoking really bad. I didn't see any smoke at all nor have I ever seen it smoke before. Even at idle it doesn't smoke the motor sounds fine now knocks ticks or anything else. Just the whine from the AIR pump which is normal or so i hear. He told me that it looked like pistons rings where fried. We didnt dig into the motor at all but now he has me worried. I always take good care of my car, it is still running on stock plugs and wires which i plan to change very soon. It doesn't burn any oil at all and I change it every 2500-3000 miles. Run all premium gas and use octane booster at least every 2 fill ups. I have a 98 Formula all stock motor just starting on the bolt on's like Fast Toys Ram Air system slightly modified and did most of the free mods. However in the past I have heard that the 98 model LS1's have an injector leak in them after the car is turned off now im not sure if this is true or not but it would make sense as to why it smoked when it stepped on it a little bit. I never jump on it when the motor is cold I always wait till it gets to operating temp before I do anything with it. The car is has just rolled over 113,000 miles. Car still has power out the a$$ so im thinking that it might be plugs going bad or wires or maybe even the injector leak thing. Any help here would be appreciated cause I dont want to replace cylinder rings if I can help it. Kinda tight on cash at the moment.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

White smoke or blackish/grey smoke. If your not using any oil I'd say it was just your car running cold and maybe a little rich.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its probably just water vapor / condensation. I have a puddle under my car when I warm it up in the mornings. If the car has power, runs well, and dosnt consume oil, then i wouldnt worry about what anyone else says. Not to mention that there are a whole bunch of reasons that your car could be smoking, its not really likely that someone your uncle could diagnose it as "fried rings" just by looking at it.

-T