Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shift solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 09:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default shift solenoid

Any one ever lose one so that second won't engage. Second gear still works, but if I give 30% throttle it slips up to the rev limiter. Also converter isn't locking up, don't if the 2 are linked in some way.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently replaced the 2-3 shift solenoid....... My car would actually try & start off in drive... The converter also wouldnt lock up... It never felt like ot was slipping though. That still didnt cure my problem though. I think I have a bad conection on the pcm. or somewhere.. You might wana check all you connections, & the trans fluid first.. Just a thought..
Old 04-12-2004, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the 4L60E, there are no 1-2, 2-3, or 3-4 shift sol. as such. Here is the way they work:
with the engine running, the car not moving and the selector in
P-N-D-R BOTH the "A" & "B" solinoids are applied.
As you take off in 1st, they both stay applied. The tranny shifts into 2nd by releasing the "B" sol., it shifts into 3rd by releasing the "A" sol. as well. Finally, by applying sol "B" only, the tranny shifts into 4th (OD). The lock-up is not controlled by either shift sol. there is a seperate sol. for that. There is also a downshift sol that dumps the pressure off the 3-4 servo to allow quick computer controlled downshifts.
Obviously, there are other factors that control the 'when' of the shift and there are other hydrolic circuits involved in the shift. This is only an explanation of how the solenoids effect the shift.
Manually shifting does NOT change the solenoid function!
IF there was/is a problem with any solenoid, the pcm will throw a code indicating what is wrong. There are about 10 different sol. codes.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:29 PM
10 Second Club

Mine did throw a code (PO785) or something like that. Shift solenoid timing malfunction.... I replaced both of them.... So where is the lock up solenoid located?
Old 04-12-2004, 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would throw a 2,3 shift solinoid DTC as per EASE. It would go into limp mode and wouldn't shift in to 2nd, after turning the key off/on everything would be fine. Right know I don't have a DTC that is current. I am just going to take it in and have it diagnosed.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:41 PM
10 Second Club

Mine is doing the exact same thing as we speak, Once the car has reached 160* I can turn the engine off for about 1min. Then start it back up & everthing will be fine, the shift pattern, shifts & all.....I have replaced all the solenoids, still no luck... I took & had mine looked at by a local performance shop.... They told me to take the wiring hareness off the pcm & check all the prongs. Sure enough there were 2 that were bent & one that wasnt getting a good connection.... I fixed both of the, but I want know if this fixed my problem until I get home.... BTW, My car will only do it after it sits all nite, or I guess until the engine cools.... But keep me posted on what your outcome is.... I would really like to know whats causing this.... it really PISSES ME OFF!!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2004, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by 99PewterZ28
Mine did throw a code (PO785) or something like that. Shift solenoid timing malfunction.... I replaced both of them.... So where is the lock up solenoid located?
There are actually 2 sol. that work together to control the lock-up. On the front of the valve body there are 3 solenoids. The one on the driver's side is the 3-2 downshift solenoid. The one farthest toward the pass. side is the "PWM Lock-up control sol. the one right next to it is the "Lock-up in pump" sol., There again, any malfunction of any of these sol. should throw a code.

Quick Reply: shift solenoid