Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Condition of my main/rod/camshaft bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Condition of my main/rod/camshaft bearings?

Hey guys,

I've got an LS1 that I'm working on, and since I've decided to do ARP mains and rods the rotating assembly will be coming out for resizing. It gave me a chance to check the condition of the bearings as well. The motor's only got 38k on it, but I bought it as a dropout package for a swap and I've never seen it run. While I have it out of my car I want to make sure everything is right.

IF the main and rod journals end up not needing resized (however unlikely that may be) I'd like to know if it'd be an option to reuse these bearings. Here are some pictures:

Main caps:

wear seems to be consistent but there were small spots where it looks as though the bearings surface is pitted.

The block side looked clean, except for this one:

Rod bearings: this one was about typical for all of them:

Camshaft bearings: again typical for all of them (from what I could see). It seemed as though it was only wearing on what would be the bottom surface...is this due to the spring force that preloads the lifters against the cam lobes?

The crank journals all look very clean, no scoring or significant marking to speak of.

What do you guys think? I've also got questions on bearing sizing to match main/rod resizing should it come to that, but I'll save that for another post/thread.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

bueller? bueller? anyone?
Old 11-11-2012, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off I would never run old bearings seeing how relatively cheap they are. But they do look good ill give you that, the guy was lying saying there were only 38k on it. I would of just run that bottom end as is but hindsight is 20/20...it's def a good motor to build a project from that's for sure.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

138k....Or, no oil change in 38K...
Old 11-12-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

Looks like I'll be replacing all the bearings, camshaft included. I'm not taking any chances.

I have a question now on how to proceed with the rod/main resizing with the ARP install. What I assume is that I install the hardware in the rods (removed from the engine) and main caps (with the crankshaft removed), torqued to spec. Then take it to the machine shop where they check roundness and resize the journals as necessary to achieve the proper runout tolerance.

My question is how do I go about determining my new bearing size? Will the shop spec this to me, or do I have to spec to them how much material to remove according to what bearings are available? I'm assuming I'll end up with a bearing that has an oversize OD and the stock ID. I'd be interested in hearing any input/experience from someone who's been through this process. Just want to be familiar with it before taking it to the shop.

Last edited by ckpitt55; 11-12-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Condition of my main/rod/camshaft bearings?