Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Funky Factory Monsoon setup???

Old 11-13-2012, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funky Factory Monsoon setup???

I just finished swapping out all my speakers, H/U, etc in my 99 firebird and I had a couple questions. I read up on the Monsoon FAQ a lot before I started as I have never did any sort of audio work.

Am I crazy, or is this normal:

From reading the Monsoon FAQ, I was under the assumption that my car would have Components up front, a Monsoon Amp near the spare tire, and a it would all be 2 ohms.

Well I stripped out the entire interior as I am completely redoing it from top to bottom and here is what I found:

No Amp....ANYWHERE in the vehicle, seems as though everything was purely running off the H/U. Coaxial speakers in the door, and in the back, total of 4 speakers, that's it!! Also they were all 4 ohms!!! All had the factory Delco lettering on the back.

Guess my question is whether or not this is normal. I just went ahead and swapped the H/U for an HD radio Pioneer + Pioneer Coaxial's front and rear + 2 12's in the back. Everything worked out great and sounds a million times better than stock. I am still just a little puzzled that my audio setup was so different than what I was expecting after reading up on here.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Launching!

do you just have the front and sail speakers and not the hatch speakers?
Old 11-13-2012, 12:49 PM

Yep, I had coaxial's in the door, and in the sail panel, no hatch speakers. Like I said they all had the Delco Factory lettering on them and the wiring looked factory.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

you dont have monsoon then .
Old 11-13-2012, 01:50 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Not all vehicles came with the Monsoon system - it was the optional premium audio system from 1997-2002. Your vehicle had the base audio system which consisted of four full-range speakers mounted in the doors and the sail panels. You would not have the separate tweeters in the doors (the door trim panels are different), the hatch area 4" speakers and tweeters, or an amp - everything runs off the head unit.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:15 PM

Thanks, makes sense, I just assumed the Monsoon System was factory. Guess it fits the car well (no power windows, no power locks, etc), haha. Well it made my life much easier, when I pulled off the old ones and realized they were just basic 4 ohm coaxials I just swapped them for some half decent ones and it made a pretty huge difference.

Now to convert to power locks & power windows for my next project!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Funky Factory Monsoon setup???