Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got LQ9 6.0 for 1968 Camaro – Best low cost setup for fuel injection ? Help !!!

Old 11-13-2012, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Got LQ9 6.0 for 1968 Camaro – Best low cost setup for fuel injection ? Help !!!

I found an 2002 LQ9 6.0 for my friend who is going to be installing it in his 1968 Camaro with 700R4. The 6.0 has an electronic throttle body and came with computer only and no wire harness.

He really wants to go fuel injection but don’t know where to start and may end up with carb setup. I know Summit is selling a standalone wire harness for $500 but what else does he need to remove O2, EGR and Key Security from the computer? HP Tuner? Convert to Cable Throttle?

I would really appreciate some suggestions.

Waid

Thanks
Old 11-13-2012, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Was the ECM TB from the 6.0L. IMO, stay with the OEM EFI.. you should be able to pickup a converted harness or a custom one.. you should be able to peice together what you need by looking on Craigslist, eBay and on many of the forum For Sale sections.

Check with the sponsors here.. PSI or Speartech... as well as other on the Web.. You will need at least front O2's, you can get the code programed out for the EGR, EVAP, VATS, etc for anything else not needed.

Are you planning to use the Truck intake or switch over to a Car intake?.. what else did the engine come with.. front accessories, any sensors, exhaust mainfolds, etc ?

IMO.. go EFI... much better drivablity, startup, etc..

keep us posted on your build..

BC
Old 11-13-2012, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He is a carb guy and clueless when it comes to fuel injection. He really wants fuel injection for as you said better driveability, fuel economy and better starup in cold Indiana. The motor did come with truck intake and all of the accessories, exhaust manifolds, PCM & Mass Air Flow Sensor. I am going back to check the salvage yard to see if the 2002 Cadillac Escalade had a Drive By Wire TAC Module. He also has a electronic gas pedal which came out of a 1500 truck.

So PSI or Speartech re-program the PCM ?

What about the wireharness?

Thanks

Waid
Old 11-13-2012, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The 02 LQ9 is a 411 ecu. It's programmable for DBW or cable throttle body. Yes you'll need a cable TB with the TV cable for the 700R4.
I would suggest getting a standalone harness for an LS1 and the ecu reprogrammed by the same company/person. Since he'll need an LS1/6 intake for hood clearance, might as well get LS1 injectors and rails too. The LQ9 injectors wont work with the LS1 intake, rail, pigtails.
So on a budget, pick up a complete LS1 intake/injectors/rail, be sure to get the intake bolts with the intake, they're expensive.
Find a company that will make an 02 LS1 stand alone harness and provide reprogramming for an 02 LS1. Might as well get an IAC from them too. You'll also need a separate MAF & IAT sensor unless you have them make the harness for the truck combo MAF/IAT.
Or you could get a cheap truck harness and mod your own.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Gary said
I would go with drive by cable because you don’t have the pedal or TAC, an if I remember right, the 2002 DBW is oddball. You can work around the truck accessories/LS1 intake interference. The other thing you would have to add for DBC is a separate cruise control unit - if you needed cruise. And if you converted a truck harness, you would need the LS1 injector connectors.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

We have a harness for that application in stock for $499. We can provide you a PCM with a tune for $200 or program your 411 PCM for $150. Hope that helps. If you would like to talk specifics please give us a call at 732-691-6531.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 11-14-2012, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Megasquirt would work well if you don't need a trans controller since its a 700r4. The harness costs $67. Its a universal harness that you connect to your engine sensors.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68ls

Hi, clueless here, new to the forum. I have decided to jump in and start down the road to fuel injection. I will be installing this in a 68 camaro. My plan is for about 500hp at flywheel. Right now I have a truck intake from the LQ9 and will be picking up a car intake soon. What do you suggest for the fuel system rails,regulator,? I need to change pretty much everything and don't want to buy mismatched parts. Also I will need a throttle cable for my car that is compatable with throttle body and my car. I still have the old throttle rod setup on it now.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 68LS
...I have decided to jump in and start down the road to fuel injection....
You won't regret it! I just finished my swap and it was well worth it and you have a lot of 1st gen Camaro lsx swap examples to look at here.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

68LS, guessing you're waids friend.
400hp is an exhaust and tune away. 500hp might require heads, LS3 intake, cam, injectors, etc. An economic comprimise might be an LS6 intake, cam, springs, and exhaust. That combo shouldn't require a custom tune also. Note that most hp increase over 400hp will be in thr 5000+ rpm range.
Check out some of the other first gen swaps for fuel systems. Consider the OEM style plastic lines and fittings. Economical, ethanol compatible, reliable.
Bowtie Overdrives makes a TV cable bracket for cable TB and 700R4.

Last edited by garys 68; 11-18-2012 at 06:22 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got LQ9 6.0 for 1968 Camaro – Best low cost setup for fuel injection ? Help !!!