Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Post 9 inch install fuel mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Post 9 inch install fuel mileage?

I've been riding around with my new mosier 9 inch and love everything about it, feels solid, the 3.89 gear feels better on the highway than the 4.11 in the 10 bolt did by far..... but I have lost about 5-6 MPG's average over the 3 tanks I've burned since finishing the install!! With a 10 bolt and 4.11's i averaged 25-26 mpg's and now average 19-20 mpgs on a good day. Same exact driving style, same exact route to and from work, just far less fuel efficiency

I know the 9 inch is a heavy weight compared to the 10 bolt, but should it lower my MPG's this much???
Old 11-13-2012, 06:27 PM
11 Second Club

takes more HP to spin.

Did you switch from an Aluminium drive shaft to a chromoly one also?

Prob has more to do with the rotating mass then it being a 9"...

bigger axles, bigger(in overall size) gear, etc..

on mine I took 4.5" off each side, alum center section, all the lightweight options. I swapped a bunch of stuff at the same time and seeing as I don't daily drive it, I don't really pay attention to gas millage.

Tis why I keep preaching the MWC 9" is great. Super light and super strong!
Old 11-14-2012, 06:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jemorgan3
I've been riding around with my new mosier 9 inch and love everything about it, feels solid, the 3.89 gear feels better on the highway than the 4.11 in the 10 bolt did by far..... but I have lost about 5-6 MPG's average over the 3 tanks I've burned since finishing the install!! With a 10 bolt and 4.11's i averaged 25-26 mpg's and now average 19-20 mpgs on a good day. Same exact driving style, same exact route to and from work, just far less fuel efficiency

I know the 9 inch is a heavy weight compared to the 10 bolt, but should it lower my MPG's this much???
No, it shouldn't lower your mileage by any significant amount. If it would, people would be installing nine inch rears and reporting lower mph's at the track, which they don't. A new rear is going to use more power to turn it that one that is fully broken in. Combine this with the possibility that you're now running a Winter fuel blend, and I can see you using more fuel. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 11-14-2012, 07:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That all makes sense, didnt think of the winter fuel either. It did take a month of working on it for a half hour at a time so they very well could have switched fuel blends around here. I just broke 600 miles so ill be changing the gear oil soon, hopefully it loosens up and I get some of my mileage back.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:02 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jemorgan3

10bolt 4.10 vs 9inch 4.10 mileage is the same.

25-26mpg highway
18-20mpg mixed

Quick Reply: Post 9 inch install fuel mileage?