New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Whos Brakes should I buy?
Baer
44.44%
Brembo
22.22%
Wilwood
33.33%
AP Racing
0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Need Input On What Brakes To Buy!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Input On What Brakes To Buy!

I'm going to buy a brake kit for my 00' Camaro and was wondering what brake kit to buy. So far I've looked at Baer, Brembo, and Wilwood! Any suggestions? Does, anyone have any good/bad experiences with aftermarget brakes? What is the best front brake kit in the $800-$1000?
Old 04-12-2004, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would vote Baer. I have yet to hear anything bad about them
Old 04-14-2004, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Anyone?
Old 04-14-2004, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

First you should have searched for your answer. Second, there are plenty of people who will tell you first hand how bad Eradispeeds are.
If all else fails, then you should post this in the Handling and Braking section here.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Brembo, wilwood, baer. In that order. Id stay away from C5/ZO6 conversions, they're mainly for looks cause they've got Camaro-similar 2-piston calipers. Have yet to see a brembo kit on an f-body, but I know they're available. John Lingenfelter Performance sells 'em, among others--LPE is usually a gyp.

I think it would be hard to beat the wilwood 6-piston front setup--truly HUGE brakes, but they're out of your price range too.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:30 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was perfectly happy with my powerslot rotors and hawk pads on my 01. Just my .02
Old 04-14-2004, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

hawk pads are nice..with stock rotors...it works well and itz cheaper..
Old 04-15-2004, 01:31 AM
Staging Lane

why spend all that money on a big brake kit? i never seen a point in it, less you are hardcore autocross. but whatever makes ya happy. i would go with WILWOOD. my friend has eradispeeds and i dont notice a braking diff. just the looks. might want to just get performance rotors and awesome pads, and skip the 4 or 6 piston calipers, and put stainless lines on.

Mike
Old 04-15-2004, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You won't get any of those brake kits for under $1000 ... probably even under $2000.

I now have a 4 piston Brembo/13.5" Prosche rotor on my car, but had the C5 conversion on my car for a while and it was a significant upgrade to the LS1 brakes.

The larger rotors gave more swept area and the C5/Z06 calipers are pressure cast as opposed to gravity cast. That, along with the ribs, add strength and prevent caliper spread. Rotors can be purchased for under $50 and there are a lot of options for F-Body brake pads.

LG Motorsports sells a whole kit in your price range.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by APeteSS
Brembo, wilwood, baer. In that order. Id stay away from C5/ZO6 conversions, they're mainly for looks cause they've got Camaro-similar 2-piston calipers.
C5/Z06 conversion is not "mainly for looks" as you so eloquently put it. The increased surface area using the C5 rotor will add enough brake torque needed for the average street car. There are alot of people using these brakes for auto cross/open track events on a regular basis. What you mainly have to be concerned about is the grip of the tires on the road. If you have enough "brake" to lock the wheels up, you should not need bigger brakes.
Brembo makes excellent rotors for our cars. Trackbird uses these and recommends them. He races his car. Just avoid the x-drilled or slotted rotors, they do NOTHING for performance.
Baer. Don't get me started. The lowest price Baer kit contains the same PBR calipers that are standard on the car. The next kit for our cars, would be overkill for a street car, and sub par compared to the Porsche GT2/GT3 conversion for a track vehicle.
Wilwood makes some nice brakes, but at what cost? You're spending money on brakes that will only marginally help on the street.
Unless you are racing the car on a regular basis. And by that I mean real racing with curves. You do not need anything more than the C5 rotor conversion. $300-$400 for the brackets from LG motorsports to mount the C5 rotor. $100-$300 for the rotors, new pads and some C5 calipers (I forget the price, check Scoggin Dickey>>>)
If you really want to improve your stops, check in at the Handling and Braking section.

By the way, for a cheap upgrade that you'll really notice. Change fluid to something with a higher temp. Motul 500, Castrol makes a nice one too. And swap in some Hawk HPS or Carbotech pads.

Tony