Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Anyone in the Airforce?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone in the Airforce?

I graduate with my BSN (nursing) in August and am split between joining the airforce and jumping into the job market at a hospital.

Are there any Airforce RN's or CRNA's on here?

For anyone in the airforce how are nurses treated? Is it worth it to join?

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Junkie

You'll be an officer in the medical field. You'll have it made!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yes there are currently over 323,000 in the air force.

sorry had to because of the title but yes there are quite a few air force on here, i am navy but it seems like most the other military here is air
Old 11-19-2012, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Yes jump in as in officer, depending on your contract they will help pay back some of your education. This does not hold true for everyone with a degree...Bachelors of Applied Science and enlisted here. If I would have went into any other branch besides the Air Force I could have gone in as in officer..DOH!

Go see a recruiter who is setup to recruit officers as well! http://www.airforce.com/contact-us/recruiter-locator/
Old 11-19-2012, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

See a medical recruiter! Stay away from the enlisted recruiters because they'll tell you its best to go in enlisted first for the experience. B/S for what you want.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks everyone. No way would I start at the bottom after getting a hard fought degree.

I just emailed the local office but appears the closest medical recruiter is in San Antonio, 2 hour north of where I live currently.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

That's what you'll have to do if you really want to do it. You want to start your career right? What will it hurt to drive a few hours every now and then? You've done all the hard work by getting your degree right? Call the recruiter up or e-mail them and go from there. There is nothing wrong with starting at the bottom either! I went straight to E-4 because of my degree after tech school
Old 11-19-2012, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 3.8redbird
Thanks everyone. No way would I start at the bottom after getting a hard fought degree.

I just emailed the local office but appears the closest medical recruiter is in San Antonio, 2 hour north of where I live currently.
Call them first and get as much info as you can over the phone. There are going to be some things your local office may be able to take care of. Just make sure you take as much documentation as you need when you do come to town. I started as an E1 and worked my way up. Nothing wrong with it, but would've taken your route if I could. Good luck!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HoLLo
You'll be an officer in the medical field. You'll have it made!
You will be a medical professional paid at a grade commensurate to your experience. You will wear insignia which represents that grade.

The question is what do you want to do? Even being a nurse, you will be in the military.

So plan to move, be deployed, etc...Its not a "job" per say. I don't know what a nurse makes on the outside, but a 2nd/1st Lt is not rolling in the cash.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:00 AM
9 Second Club

Received 221 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by badazz81z28

I don't know what a nurse makes on the outside, but a 2nd/1st Lt is not rolling in the cash.
compared to a E1-E5 they are lol
Old 11-22-2012, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Depending on where I were to work city wise I could expect anywhere from $56-70k starting out. The 70 with a load of overtime and 50-60 hours a week (12-14 hr shifts)
Old 11-22-2012, 08:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by minytrker
compared to a E1-E5 they are lol
Very true... I am Navy enlisted and waited until I was almost 27 to go to boot camp- and then went into a field where I have been in school ever since. I'm past my 2.5 year point and will finally be checking out of my last training command next week, as an E-4. I'd say if you are young, single, and smart with your money, junior enlisted pay is enough to get by, but one look at the officer pay scale will show you the difference. Officers make twice what a junior enlisted makes.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by yota
Very true... I am Navy enlisted and waited until I was almost 27 to go to boot camp- and then went into a field where I have been in school ever since. I'm past my 2.5 year point and will finally be checking out of my last training command next week, as an E-4. I'd say if you are young, single, and smart with your money, junior enlisted pay is enough to get by, but one look at the officer pay scale will show you the difference. Officers make twice what a junior enlisted makes.
I don't want to start a debate here....BUT

Please consider Commissioned Officers have a selected criteria, a degree being one of them ( Yes I do know some enlisted have degrees, but its not required for the AFSC they are in). People always think it's greener on the other side. Lower ranking enlisted do make less money, but less is expected of them. They come to work, do their job and go home. Right out of the gate, an O-1 is expected to be at a SNCO level. Which is managing, leading, and enforcing standards.

We also do our best to compensate where needed.

In the Air Force one of the biggest things is the Airman's Attic where lower ranking enlisted can go and get free stuff. They have uniforms, TVs, couches...nearly anything people donate. They also have new stuff!

When we get free NFL, NBA, MBL ticket...The lower ranking airmen get them.
When we have opportunities like the "Price is Right" Audience...Lower ranking get them.

When Holidays come around...Who do you think is getting free party tickets? Meals? Angel tree gifts for the kids? ...Lower ranking enlisted.

People always look at that 2012 military pay scale and don't look any further.

Officers do not get clothing allowance
Officers get LESS BAS
Officers pay more for social and Sq events (Not to mention you are expected to go to these events)

Trust me, the system does its best to level the "paying" field.

Bottom line. Much more is expected from an Officer. The standards are higher and you are much more scrutinized. Things an airmen would get a slap on the hand, could end an Officer career.

So before you off saying how much better it is to be an Officer vs Enlisted, make sure you look at more than what the pay scale says.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

Oh, I am aware the responsibilities and everything else that is placed on the officer community. In my civilian life, I have been at every level of the totem pole- from the greenest new guy sweeping the floors up to the man in charge of a multi-million dollar warehouse and distribution facility with up to 40 people working under my direct supervision. There is a reason officers make what they do and personally, I want nothing to do with that side of the military, at least in my job field (Navy Nuke). I know all about being held to higher standards and constant scrutiny, it's part of the "Nuclear culture" in the Navy. That being said, I feel like I personally found a happy medium with the pay scale (look up enlistment bonus and SRB numbers for a Navy nuclear operator), responsibilities, challenges, and benefits. Either way, anyone who joins the military strictly for money is doing it for the wrong reasons. Either join and serve your country or go make "$70k" per year elsewhere...
Old 11-22-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by yota
Oh, I am aware the responsibilities and everything else that is placed on the officer community. In my civilian life, I have been at every level of the totem pole- from the greenest new guy sweeping the floors up to the man in charge of a multi-million dollar warehouse and distribution facility with up to 40 people working under my direct supervision. There is a reason officers make what they do and personally, I want nothing to do with that side of the military, at least in my job field (Navy Nuke). I know all about being held to higher standards and constant scrutiny, it's part of the "Nuclear culture" in the Navy. That being said, I feel like I personally found a happy medium with the pay scale (look up enlistment bonus and SRB numbers for a Navy nuclear operator), responsibilities, challenges, and benefits. Either way, anyone who joins the military strictly for money is doing it for the wrong reasons. Either join and serve your country or go make "$70k" per year elsewhere...

Well said!
Old 11-22-2012, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

I agree with yota. Part of the reason I chose the Air Force over any other branch where I could have easily gone in as an Officer, was the career field, the training, the certifications, and the clearance. This will all work out perfectly on the civilian side of things if I decide to not make a career out of the military.

With the experience I'll have when I get out, all of the certifications I've received (and will earn in the future), and my clearance, I'll easily be set up for a six figure job in the private sector and this is from an enlisted position, but I also have that four year degree as well and currently working on my masters in Information Systems.

On the other side, I would love to take the responsibilities of an Officer at some point. That's always been a goal of mine and it gives me something to work towards.

But back on topic. Even as an enlisted member the pay scale may say ~$20,000/year for like an E-3, they also receive BAH, BAS, health care, dental care, etc. You add all that up and it's like making $50,000 on the civilian side.

Quick Reply: Anyone in the Airforce?