Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

84 Trans am LS1 T56 swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 Trans am LS1 T56 swap

2 weeks ago my wife totalled one of my 3 T/A's. I Still have my CETA so I dont need another 4th gen. I bought the car back and now I intend on doing the swap into my 84 (have had it since I was 18). I know this is a common swap, but just have a few questions.

1. After I buy the motor mounts/ tranny cross member..... will I be able to basically bolt in the motor, tranny, rear, and still use the 2002 drive shaft?

2. Being that I have a whole car how hard is it to do the dash swap? I wont be using any A/C.

3. I was planning on just putting in a in line fuel pump..... Good plan?

4. Because this is bassically a budget build I will be using stock LS1 manifolds.

Any suggestions on anything else I have missed? I will post up picks a little later. Right now still pulling apart the wrecked one.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

1) Yes

2) Swap every wire in the car and its simple. Only change out the bulb ends

3) Why not use the 4th gen tank with fuel lines. Yes the 4th gen hardlines will fit with a tweak or two. 84 TA would be carbed so swapping to EFI would be super simple. Save the cost of a new EFI friendly pump too

4) No problems there. Custom Y-pipe and any 4th gen catback will fit

3rd gens are super easy for a LSx swap when you've got the whole 4th gen to start with alot of stuff is a direct replacement since the chassis is identical firewall back

While you're at it, might want to swap the seats and brakes

Quick Reply: 84 Trans am LS1 T56 swap