Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New style rear main install questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 06:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New style rear main install questions

I installed my rear cover and new rear main last night. When I was tapping the new seal into the rear cover the plastic insert fell out. After looking at it for a few seconds it looked like I could slide the cover back in with no issues and install it. I put the cover over the crank and pushed it on and it the seal seams to be sitting on there fine. Has anyone else had this problem? I did not lube the seal face like the gm manual instructs. Did your seal leak after you got the car running?

Thanks for the help
Old 11-17-2012, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Are You talking about the rear crankshaft seal calling it the rear main ? The rear main usually refers to the #5 crank main bearing .
Old 11-19-2012, 05:14 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bad03snake
I installed my rear cover and new rear main last night. When I was tapping the new seal into the rear cover the plastic insert fell out. After looking at it for a few seconds it looked like I could slide the cover back in with no issues and install it. I put the cover over the crank and pushed it on and it the seal seams to be sitting on there fine. Has anyone else had this problem? I did not lube the seal face like the gm manual instructs. Did your seal leak after you got the car running?

Thanks for the help
Borrow the GM LS rear seal tool from a local gm garage, leave the rear cover bolts loose while you install in dry.

Quick Reply: New style rear main install questions