Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI Adj. T/A, instant center question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Default UMI Adj. T/A, instant center question

I was going to call UMI today but didn't get time so I will ask here and maybe they will see it this weekend.

On my 00' Hawk I have the UMI Adj. long T/A with relocation bracket. From searching I have read that either the bottom hole or the second hole up is stock.

My car is lowered on Strano springs, Koni's, Strano bars, Watt's rear setup, roto/poly LCA's w/ relo brackets.

Obviously the car is setup for cornering and not a straight line. The car put down 430RWHP/420 ft lbs and even on Nitto NT05R drag radials it spins.

From the reading I have done on here it seems lowering the vehicle changes the IC.

For what I'm doing what hole should I try on the bracket? Is there anyway to measure IC and if so is there a number I should be shooting for?

Thanks

J
Old 11-16-2012, 09:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for choosing UMI stuff for your car.

The long torque arm is a lot more forgiving than the tunnel mount version. For a handling car you can choose the 3rd or even 4th hole up with no adverse effects.

Nose up as high as possible theoretically helps 1st and 2nd gear low speed corner exit.

-- Ramey
Old 11-16-2012, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the fast reply Ramey. I bought all my suspension parts through Sam and he recommend the long T/A. I can't remember where he told me which hole to use. I think its in the middle but I can't remember. I'm putting a new clutch in tomorrow so I am going to check everything.

I'm very happy with all the products I have bought from you. Probably the only other thing I will get is a set of adjustable lower front control arms. IIRC I have a little bit too much camber and I don't want to kill my front tires.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

I put the car back together today. I had it on the third hole up from the bottom. I went ahead and moved it up to the fourth. I am going to set the pinon angle tomorrow and see if the car reacts any differently.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:02 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I put the car back together today. I had it on the third hole up from the bottom. I went ahead and moved it up to the fourth. I am going to set the pinon angle tomorrow and see if the car reacts any differently.
Awesome. Let us know how it works.

And thanks for choosing UMI!

ramey
Old 11-19-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ramey,

What happens if the IC is too high? I know you said the 3rd and 4th hole up is fine. I'm just curious what to look for.

Thanks.

J
Old 11-19-2012, 02:02 PM
FormerVendor

I don't think you can get it too high on the long torque arm. Sometimes with the short torque arm you can get wheel hop under heavy braking. Never heard of it happening with the long version (and quite honestly not so often with the short one).

Position 3 or 4 you're good to go.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

The more rearward the IC, the more brake hop can become an issue. If you keep raising it, and the traction improves, and there is no harm to the handling balance, or brake hop... keep going until one of those things becomes a problem.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Sam thanks for the info. I haven't done any hard braking yet since I have made the change but now I know what to look for.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:52 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought the higher/ further back the instant center the more prone to wheel standing?

Quick Reply: UMI Adj. T/A, instant center question