General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

starter issue in 2000 z28

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter issue in 2000 z28

Hey everyone new member here and I got a little problem.. well a big one. I bought my 2000 camaro off a guy and it needed a few things here and there. Like a wiper arm inner fender stuff like that. We'll I got most all of the body work etc. taken care of. Unfortunately my starter is starting to go out on me. My car will fire right up sometimes and other times I have to cycle the key up to 30-40 times before it starts. I got under the car and low and behold the bastard welded it! From what I can see the are the bolt threads into looks like one big glob of weld. Iv searched the threads and mostly came across having to get a new block. I'm thinking I might be able to drill through the bolt itself to at least get it off then retap the area and put a new starter and bolt in. Anyone know the size of this bolt as in thread count. I believe it's a 3/8 16 so I'd drill with a 5/16. Any help or thoughts on this greatly appreciated.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you get and post up pics please? For one, it would help me understand a lot better as to what's going on and two, I've never seen a welded on starter before. I'm in no way calling you out like your lying but this is something I gotta see.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

I'll post pics tommoro when I have some light.I'm at work now and It's not the whole starter, It's jus where the bolt actually threads in. I'm jus hoping I can save it without replacing the whole block..sigh..

Well I lied bout tommoro lol I took a couple pics while I was on my lunch break I jus gotta figure out how to upload them..

http://s1124.beta.photobucket.com/us...13700.jpg.html
Old 11-20-2012, 03:52 PM
10 Second Club

damn that sucks.i was haveing issues as well but not like this.what i would do i guess would be breck it off and weld a new one ..
Old 11-20-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you get lucky for now and it is just your starter relay going out? May want to swap it and see what happens.

Regarding the weld - have you actually tried removing the bolt? Hard to tell in the pic but maybe he just welded over a crack and it isn't holding the bolt? Although I'm assuming you tried backing it out...
Old 11-22-2012, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Well I have swapped relays and no fix. Also have done the big three when I upgraded to the truck alternator. Iv tried removing the bolt and it wouldn't budge so I figured the weld is down the side of the bolt. I'm really dreading this fix but if it works I'll be more then ecstatic lol
Old 12-04-2012, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Problem solved. Drilled tapped n replaced starter and wires also replaced starter switch in column at the same time. Fires up first time every time

Quick Reply: starter issue in 2000 z28