Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR's go rich on bottle. Nitrous Experts, Chime in!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AFR's go rich on bottle. Nitrous Experts, Chime in!

2006 Pontiac GTO Bolt-ons, LS3 Heads, Custom Cam, etc.

Nitrous Outlet Big Solenoids
Window Switch & WOT Switch. ON at 3400 . OFF at 6600
Custom Fuel Cell with 255 pump & regulator set at 58psi
HSW Sudden Impact Plate
Jetting 83N 48F 225shot
-6 fittings/lines from bottle to Nitrous Solenoid
-4 line from Nitrous Solenoid to Plate
-3 fittings in plate

Plugs: BR7EF Gapped @ 0.030

On the dyno it made the right power and AFR's were 11.7. Read the plugs and they're right where I want them to be as far as timing and fuel goes.

My problem is, on the street, more often than not, It would hit hard, AFRs at 11.5-7 then very rapidly drop down to 10.0

It seems like the nitrous just isnt delivering fast enough? I'm stumped. I've tried everything. Wiring is PERFECT. I'll try relocating the ground but I'm certain it's not wiring since it hits initially then begins to fall on its face.

Thanks..
Old 11-19-2012, 03:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the bottle pressure when it's falling to 10? Could be that HSW plate?
Old 11-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SargeZ06
What is the bottle pressure when it's falling to 10? Could be that HSW plate?
I dont have a chance to see that since I only have a pressure gauge on the bottle and it's in the trunk... I'll try bringing it into the passenger compartment and have a passenger monitor bottle pressure.

It could be the plate but at the same time, it made good numbers on the dyno. It didnt go rich on the dyno and every now and then it will work on the street properly.

Possibly a weak nitrous solenoid shutting with high pressure/volume behind it forcing it closed.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What bottle pressure are you starting with?
Is it RPM related?
If you make two back to back pulls does it still start at 11.5 and drop to 10? Or does it start lower because the bottle is going low?

If it isn't related to bottle pressure, I would almost think the tune has changed. Maybe due to the difference in weather from the day it was tuned until now..
Old 11-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by StrokerTA
What bottle pressure are you starting with?
Is it RPM related?
If you make two back to back pulls does it still start at 11.5 and drop to 10? Or does it start lower because the bottle is going low?

If it isn't related to bottle pressure, I would almost think the tune has changed. Maybe due to the difference in weather from the day it was tuned until now..
Starting with 1000psi. Remains 1000psi. It's not RPM related. Lets say Im at 4k rpm and go WOT, it sprays then within 1-2 seconds it goes 10.0 then I let off the throttle, get back in it at around 5k rpm. It'll be at 11.5-7 again then drop down. It's like it needs times to rejuvenate itself lol. Maybe the pick-up neck in the bottle is too small to feed the -6?

It was tuned last week. VERY similar weather to now.

Next thing I will do is hook up the bottle with the gauge and monitor pressure while spraying. Then install the NANO kit and see if it helps out.

Any other tips would help..

Thanks for the help so far.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What size bottle? What bottle valve? We spray 200+ on a 10lb NX bottle for 9.00 seconds and don't have pressure drop issues.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Launching!

10lbs NOS Bottle http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nos-14745nos

The other NANO bottle is from Nitrous Outlet with the big bottle valve. Which if the bottle is the issue, the nano should work.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:36 PM
10 Second Club

I think its that hsw plate. I use to run the sudden impact 92mm plate. The largest jet I could run with it was an .067N. I gained nothing by going larger because I reached its max flow. The sudden impact plates is only designed for a 150 hit. The hsw brute force plate is suppose to flow more but I'm not completely sure about that since I stopped using hsw a while ago.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Launching!

Have you messed with the fuel pressure in stand alone? maybe you can drop it a couple lbs at a time and see if that helps
Old 11-19-2012, 09:31 PM
DSS
Staging Lane

hmm i might be having the same issues that your having

it hits hard first few seconds then falls flat on its face,

but mine still picks up again after falling to its face about 400-600rpm

good luck man

bump for you
Old 11-20-2012, 12:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DSS
hmm i might be having the same issues that your having

it hits hard first few seconds then falls flat on its face,

but mine still picks up again after falling to its face about 400-600rpm

good luck man

bump for you
I'm almost afraid to do that. I don't want the fuel to pool up and create a backfire.

As for your issue, are you on a bigger shot? >150?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:13 AM
DSS
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by luigiandme
I'm almost afraid to do that. I don't want the fuel to pool up and create a backfire.

As for your issue, are you on a bigger shot? >150?

the plan was to go higher 150-175 shot depending how things look,

but we maxed out the old fuel pump at 100shot,

i upgraded to a bigger fuel pump then more dyno session to go for 150 or 175 shot, and just for testing we sprayed a 100 shot to make sure everything is cherry first, and now i have this weird issue

but def update the thread if you get more info, it will help alot folks that might run into these problems
Old 11-20-2012, 07:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

How is your stock fuel pump maxed out? I have a big cam, SVO Red Top 30#'s, and a 200 shot(Nano kit) and I'm fine. I do have a boost-a-pump but surely that can't give me that much margin over not having one. I see this a lot on forums but it's not what I see in my setup.

Maybe your stock pump is tired?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:42 AM
9 Second Club

My bet is there is nothing wrong with your system except its RICH.

Dyno's suck for getting a nitrous car dialed in.

I'd like to see the plugs that are right where you want them fuel and timing wise.
At 11.7 A/F they have to look crazy rich and show no timing at that rich of an A/F reading.

Run your bottle at 950psi you will get less of a lean spike and less pressure drop.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^this^^^^
Old 11-20-2012, 03:13 PM
DSS
Staging Lane

my bad op for thread jacking/off topic

Originally Posted by SargeZ06
How is your stock fuel pump maxed out? I have a big cam, SVO Red Top 30#'s, and a 200 shot(Nano kit) and I'm fine. I do have a boost-a-pump but surely that can't give me that much margin over not having one. I see this a lot on forums but it's not what I see in my setup.

Maybe your stock pump is tired?
i dont know, but i running 42lb injectors at 85% duty cycle with the stock pump with +250's duration cam with .630-.630 lifts with consistent 12.3-12.5 AFR on my N/A set up, i am too running a NANO kit, no boost-a-pump, with 75k miles on the stock pump, so its possible it was a weak pump, but thats all been taken care off the bigger pump is good to go

PM you sarge

Last edited by DSS; 11-20-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:45 PM
FormerVendor

The solenoids should be ok on flow. If it is the .125 solenoid on the nitrous side, the flow is good till 400 hp worth of nitrous. That doesnt rule out a weakening coil in a solenoid. Usually with a weak coil, we see that they close completely.

Is it this solenoid?

are you seeing a power decrease relative to your richening condition?? Also have you tried reading plugs on the street?? Was the dyno you on loaded?

Your lines should be ok with flow.

The plate possibly could be a problem.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Neal@NitrousOutlet
The solenoids should be ok on flow. If it is the .125 solenoid on the nitrous side, the flow is good till 400 hp worth of nitrous. That doesnt rule out a weakening coil in a solenoid. Usually with a weak coil, we see that they close completely.

Is it this solenoid?

are you seeing a power decrease relative to your richening condition?? Also have you tried reading plugs on the street?? Was the dyno you on loaded?

Your lines should be ok with flow.

The plate possibly could be a problem.
That is the solenoid. I feel it slowly fall on it's face while AFR's go super rich. I have not read the plugs this go around. I plan on reading them at the track for a true loaded reading. Dyno was loaded.. What's your email so I can show you the dyno graph, AFR fluctuation happened on the dyno as well.

I couldnt imagine it being the plate otherwise it would fail EVERYTIME. It seems to do it on occasion.

I'll go try the nano tonight on the street and come back..
Old 11-21-2012, 01:00 AM
Launching!

So I went out and tried the regular bottle.. Pressure was at 1000. Sprayed third, AFR went 11.8, grabbed 4th AFR stayed at 12.4 steady and felt a slight "fish bite" misfire but AFR's stayed on 12.4.

The power was definitely there. I'm thinking the AFR's drop initially was due to high pressure causing the solenoid to stay shut.

Now why does the AFR jump around but stay steady at the same time? It's mind *******..

I could just go two stage; one plate, one nozzle. Just to eliminate spraying all that through the plate?
Old 11-21-2012, 01:20 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by luigiandme
That is the solenoid. I feel it slowly fall on it's face while AFR's go super rich. I have not read the plugs this go around. I plan on reading them at the track for a true loaded reading. Dyno was loaded.. What's your email so I can show you the dyno graph, AFR fluctuation happened on the dyno as well.

I couldnt imagine it being the plate otherwise it would fail EVERYTIME. It seems to do it on occasion.

I'll go try the nano tonight on the street and come back..
email is neal@nitrousoutlet.com. Send it over and see what we can figure out. How old are the solenoids?

Quick Reply: AFR's go rich on bottle. Nitrous Experts, Chime in!