General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

'97 Firebird throwing service engine light

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97 Firebird throwing service engine light

Alright, so I have a '97 Firebird with a 3.8 that's throwing the service engine light.
I can't go to Autozone tonight or tomorrow and I have to go through emissions within a week and I work everyday next week/ school, so if anyone can help please do!
It threw the light for the first time today, there's three things I can think of that are possibly causing it, but I don't know if anyone of these actually would.
1.) I took the headlight motor out today to replace the gear and hadn't re-connected it, because the epoxy I put to seal the housing takes 24 hours to cure.
2.) Oil needs to be changed, it's at 4,600 on this change (I broke the weld on the nut inside the oil pan, so I have to drop the pan and haven't had time to do it, doing it Friday).
3.) Can smell a faint fuel smell from rear of car. I've smelt this for quite a while, however.
Can anyone say if the headlights would do this? That's what I'm thinking, due to the fact that I removed the motor like a hour before I noticed the code. I've never heard of a headlight throwing a service light, before though and I just looked through a Chilton's manual and I didn't see any codes about that.
Also, it's a V6 and I just rolled over to 50k miles today
Old 11-23-2012, 09:43 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Depending on what state you are in, you probably won't be passing your emissions any time soon. Even if you fixed the problem, you'll probably have to drive the car for some time to build up enough clear history in your PCM to pass the exam.

If you are tight on time, you might be best off to go, fail your exam, and then take the extra time they give you to fix the problem and re-take the test.

The only way to tell what is going on is to have your car scanned. Probably best to seek the advice of a professional on this one.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Depending on what state you are in, you probably won't be passing your emissions any time soon. Even if you fixed the problem, you'll probably have to drive the car for some time to build up enough clear history in your PCM to pass the exam.

If you are tight on time, you might be best off to go, fail your exam, and then take the extra time they give you to fix the problem and re-take the test.

The only way to tell what is going on is to have your car scanned. Probably best to seek the advice of a professional on this one.
I got it scanned today. Code # P1441: Evap system flow during non-purge condition.
ECM detected vacuum flow to the Fuel tank pressure sensor during a system sealed condition.

From what I've found the purge solenoid seems prone to failure. Going to try and find somehwere with one, because Autozone/O'reilly's/ dealer, none of them have it. Hopefully I can find one and that's the cause. Or maybe just the sensor, either one shouldn't be too difficult.
Anyone have any other suggestions on what to check?
Old 11-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

GM says this can be caused by:
- A leaking EVAP purge valve
- Switched vacuum lines at the EVAP purge valve
- The EVAP purge valve control circuit is grounded

If the valve isn't bad, GM recommends checking for the following:
- Bad PCM connection
- Damaged harness
- Vacuum line routing problems
- Damaged EVAP canister

Beyond all that, you'll need special diagnostic tools to find the problem.

If you are looking to get in to this stuff, I highly recommend getting the official GM Factory Service Manuals for your year. (They come in a set of 3.) You can get them new through Helm, Inc. or used (sometimes) on eBay. They have full DTC explanations, wiring diagrams, and service procedures for every part of the car.

Quick Reply: '97 Firebird throwing service engine light