Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replaced head unit poor sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 09:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced head unit poor sound

I replaced the head unit in my 01 camaro with a Pioneer deh-4400hd and it sounds WORSE! The sound coming out of the speakers is noisy. I checked all the connections and everything is right. I'm guessing its the factory amp miss matched to the Pioneer headunit. With the factory radio back in it sounds ok.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:22 PM
Banned

Engine wasnt running but thanks for the idea.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

does it sound like a whining noise at all volumes? Google search "Pioneer PICA fuse"
Old 11-22-2012, 07:27 PM
Banned

no it justs sounds like a crappy am radio no matter what you select. Very noisy.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:01 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

One thing that is certainly NOT the problem is the factory amp. You said yourself that it sounds fine with the original head unit and there is no matching involved - the amp will work with the speaker level output from any HU.

First, you did use a harness adapter, right? If not, go get one and reinstall.

Next, check all the connections to make sure they are solid and tight and that you didn't mismatch any colors (especially striped wires versus solid colors). Also, ensure that all connections are soldered and sealed with heat shrink tubing or at least that they have properly sized crimp on butt connectors - twist and tape is not acceptable.

Finally, check that you haven't inadvertently changed HU settings such as pre-amp output instead of speaker level.

If all that checks out, it is reasonable to assume the new HU is defective... it happens sometimes.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
One thing that is certainly NOT the problem is the factory amp. You said yourself that it sounds fine with the original head unit and there is no matching involved - the amp will work with the speaker level output from any HU.

First, you did use a harness adapter, right? If not, go get one and reinstall.

Next, check all the connections to make sure they are solid and tight and that you didn't mismatch any colors (especially striped wires versus solid colors). Also, ensure that all connections are soldered and sealed with heat shrink tubing or at least that they have properly sized crimp on butt connectors - twist and tape is not acceptable.

Finally, check that you haven't inadvertently changed HU settings such as pre-amp output instead of speaker level.

If all that checks out, it is reasonable to assume the new HU is defective... it happens sometimes.

agreed and turn off any bass boost and equalization
Old 11-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Banned

It didn't sound fine with the factory radio, I said it sounds "ok" or i would have never changed the radio. It was noisy as well but got much worse using the Pioneer head unit.

Well I found the trouble, IT WAS THE FACTORY AMP. Both radios sound great now. The Pioneer has a much better FM receiever in it. I'm really disappointed in how lame the factory Camaro fm receiver is. I may try a Firebird radio so I can keep the cd changer. Its really ashame you can't get a cd changer to work with these newer radios.

I'm not sure why you were all saying nothing could be wrong with the factory amp? Must have a bad cap in it or something to be so noisy.

Last edited by Camaroo1; 11-23-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaroo1
It didn't sound fine with the factory radio, I said it sounds "ok" or i would have never changed the radio. It was noisy as well but got much worse using the Pioneer head unit.

Well I found the trouble, IT WAS THE FACTORY AMP. Both radios sound great now. The Pioneer has a much better FM receiever in it. I'm really disappointed in how lame the factory Camaro fm receiver is. I may try a Firebird radio so I can keep the cd changer. Its really ashame you can't get a cd changer to work with these newer radios.

I'm not sure why you were all saying nothing could be wrong with the factory amp? Must have a bad cap in it or something to be so noisy.
We all said there was nothing wrong with the amp because you led us to believe that "With the factory radio back in it sounds ok." Obviously, it it works fine with one radio but not with another, it can't be the amplifier since it's the same in both cases. Saying later as an afterthought that the original HU was OK but also had the same noise is not the way to get help around here.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

They said its not the amp cuz you said that the factory headunit worked fine which would point us away from thinking the amp is the issue
Old 11-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Banned

Thanks for your suggestions, no disrepect intended really. I just thought the camaro radio was the same quality as the firebirds.

Whats beyond any reason is the fact the factory camro radio is a complete waste of space. It was so dam hard to figure out what was going on because the radio sounds like sheeet to begin with. It sounds better with the new amp but nothing close to how good the Pioneer sounds now. It really pisses me off GM put such cheap crap in the Camaro. I'm betting the Firebird radio would sound alot better.

The local station I listen to the most causes the factory Camaro radio to loose stereo back and forth and as it does this it makes a crappy SSSSSSSSSSS sound into the speakers. The Pioneer radio sees the same station as 10 bars and never cuts out. This is using the same antena.

The noise the amp was making was constant background white noise, for some reason the Pioneer unit really made it come out.

Quick Reply: Replaced head unit poor sound