LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Data wiring/module issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Data wiring/module issue

Hey everybody, my friend came to me this evening with a question I hope that somebody on here could solve. He owns a 2008 Impala LTZ with our same sound system, just minus the bose(same as my car). He installed an aftermarket cd player, but instead of buying a wiring harness like I recommended he decided to cut the wires on the car and "hard wire" the cd player to the car. When he cut the wires, he had the batt disconnected but he said when he cut the wires it made a loud pop sound like when a hot wire touches ground. Now his aftermarket cd player comes on, but only for about 2 minutes, then screen goes blank and audio wont play. Still gets power because you can eject the cd's. So I had him wire the cd player straight to the battery to see if the cd player was bad, not a problem. So I had him put in the stock cd player and he says when you press the info button the time comes on, and it can eject and take cd's but thats it. Also the door chime and turn signal chime does not work(did you know that is illegal???) My local audio shop tells me that the data wire must had touched a hot wire and needs to be resynced by the gm dealer. I unplugged the battery for a half hour but that didn't reset. Any ideas where the data module would be at? Google seems to not know anything about this!

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2012, 12:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know the door chimes are in the headunit and require a $100(iirc) adapter to make them work again. But for your other problems I don't know, faulty head unit maybe? If he has his power, ground, and remote-wire on then it should stay on at least. Did he solder the wires or just put them in a wire nut? If it's not soldered he could have a bad connection which is causing the problem.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:43 AM
On The Tree

He has butt connectors on them, when I called crutchfield they told me to solder the data wire as well, would that solve the issue you think? There isn't a relay or module the data wire(the pink one) travels thru is there? Our cars without the bose do not have a remote wire(or so I understand) and I hooked up his head unit to my car and it works good. What all wires would need to be soldered?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

He soldered the wires together and still no luck, looks like he is taking it to the dealership!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Would anybody have an idea on how to reset the Body Control Module??
Old 11-25-2012, 06:39 PM
TECH Regular

I can get you the wiring diagram off of my wiring harness of that will help you out at all. I have an amped system though.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

I think it may be bad, all other electric things are working fine in the car, maybe it is just the data part in the module. He says that GM may be able to scan/reset it, but if it'll help I would appreciate it!
Old 11-26-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

I can't find it, I've found my head unit manual and my steering wheel control manual but not the wiring harness manual. Sorry about that. I'm guessing he just has something not hooked up correctly. Good luck to the both of you.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Not sure what the problem was with it, but we just hooked up the harness, and ran the ACC wire straight from the cd player to the power windows fuse(25amps) and it turns off and on just like the stock one did. If it works fine, then don't mess with it!!

Quick Reply: Data wiring/module issue