Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question about painting my Coil Packs

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about painting my Coil Packs

Do you think a high temp clear is needed to paint the coil packs to avoid and flaking down the road? The only reason I am using it, is because I think it will be needed to keep the shiny clean look. When I clean the engine bay up, I like to just put some soap and water in and be done. I think without the clear on the packs they prob wont clean up to well unless I stay on top of it religiously.

I mean obviously its preferable, but I have trouble locating it.

I figure it prob never gets hot enough around the packs to do any real harm to them.

If I get 2-4 years out of them before having to scuff and re do I would be happy.

I am using red caliper paint and adhesion promoter of course, with a good scuffing and cleaning before hand. The valve covers are powdercoated and the brackets that hold the coil packs looks brand new, I am not even going to bother repainting those.

Thanks for your input. Roll Tide.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
Do you think a high temp clear is needed to paint the coil packs to avoid and flaking down the road? The only reason I am using it, is because I think it will be needed to keep the shiny clean look. When I clean the engine bay up, I like to just put some soap and water in and be done. I think without the clear on the packs they prob wont clean up to well unless I stay on top of it religiously.

I mean obviously its preferable, but I have trouble locating it.

I figure it prob never gets hot enough around the packs to do any real harm to them.

If I get 2-4 years out of them before having to scuff and re do I would be happy.

I am using red caliper paint and adhesion promoter of course, with a good scuffing and cleaning before hand. The valve covers are powdercoated and the brackets that hold the coil packs looks brand new, I am not even going to bother repainting those.

Thanks for your input. Roll Tide.
I cleared mine with some regular acrylic clear. Obviously the preferred paint would be high temp engine clear, but I've found the clear has lasted on my coils for the last 1k miles or so that it's been painted.

I was going to move on to the next thread without replying, but...

Hook 'em, Horns

Quick Reply: Question about painting my Coil Packs