Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best options for new dash pad

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best options for new dash pad

So, I like i am sure a few of our members have been dealing lately with a cracked dashpad and am looking as towards what i could do to replace it. I was certain on getting the oe one but just saw that they are now $500 and am seeing the cap types go for 150-200, now my dash right now is cracked in many places just missing a 3x3 inch piece in the center.
My question is what is your guys experiences with the caps and what would you recommend? Should i save up and buy the original piece or get just a cap, or if you guys know a spot that would be appreciated too.

More info: the product I was looking in to.
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Dash_Pad_Co...71/554557/1999

Thank you guys
Old 11-25-2012, 01:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my mechanic busted my factory dash right on top of the gauge cluster when he pushed his wrist thru it trying to get leverage to apply the inspection sticker... so he replaced it, the way he put it was i can do a OE for more money or do an aftermarket that "is twice as thick" (idiot me didn't consider he is counting the fact its a glue on "cap".
Anyway I installed the part, use degreaser, rough up the edges and glue sparingly as per directions. The piece itself is not noticeable for not OE, the color match is real good on my black interior and no lips are bent up. However the one annoyance is that plastic mesh grille they put in the center hole where the alarm light is. I understand why they didn't try to mold to get each individual vent slat but this grille/ screen is loose and slightly tacky, if your OE is good there id recommend taking out the screen
Old 11-25-2012, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im about to buy a 98 camaro, and the dash has practically a "fist" sized hole in it. Would this be suitable to cover it up?
Old 11-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

The actual grille is in tact, how has the cap held up for you though? Would you recommend it or would you have forked over the extra money for an oe?
Old 11-26-2012, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Omar23109 i do not know the price difference of oe replacement vs cap. My mechanic broke my dash and he paid for the replacement, i was nieve and sold on the 2x thickness line he gave me. He bought a Coverlay brand cap. It has been in my car for one summer and i would recommend it. Looking for the paperwork this morning in the true cold 30degree weather i do see the oe dash lip under the cap, however in warm driving season its covered nicely.
That being said in short if its like a $50 difference go with oe for piece of mind.

KingPin1094 for the 98 you are buying id def say get it, that's why i got my cap and it looks practically factory.
If I were to redo this I would go with the cap and stretch some nice padded vynl w/firebird emblem over it before gluing it down, then it would really stand out at shows
Old 11-26-2012, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Omar23109
I was certain on getting the oe one but just saw that they are now $500 and am seeing the cap types go for 150-200, now my dash right now is cracked in many places just missing a 3x3 inch piece in the center.
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Dash_Pad_Co...71/554557/1999

Thank you guys
OP sorry i blew by the original post last time. after looking at your link it looks exactly as that with the nylon/plastic mesh center grill. SO the price is HALF the cost? BUY the cap bud.
And really look into my mentioned idea of buying fabric and foam to make a one off design. that would be cool and easy to do pre-install
Old 11-29-2012, 01:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PhoneniX
OP sorry i blew by the original post last time. after looking at your link it looks exactly as that with the nylon/plastic mesh center grill. SO the price is HALF the cost? BUY the cap bud.
And really look into my mentioned idea of buying fabric and foam to make a one off design. that would be cool and easy to do pre-install
Yeah I had plannes on getting the OE one until out of nowhere the price jumped up $200. The wrapping sounds like a good idea though, i gott do some research on that. Any clue on were i could get maybe an SS patch type logo from?
Old 11-29-2012, 02:55 AM
On The Tree

what I did in my first car (saturn headliner redo) was to simply use a image and blow it up to the dimension desired in ms word and print it off to cut as a template. then I pinned the template to 1/4in foam and cut that out, laid the adhesive , foam, adhesive, Headliner material with 1/8in foam. putting a foam backed material on top of the design leads to an less desirable puffy logo But for a dash you would go vynl anyway. All materials can be bought rather inexpensively at a fabric store. pro tip Dont skimp out on buying a quality glue.

Really printing a logo out yourself is a great option for this. only other possibility id consider attempting is paying a embroidery place but id shy from that extra cost.

Quick Reply: Best options for new dash pad