Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak, possible head gasket (am I missing something?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak, possible head gasket (am I missing something?)

OK I am fairly new to the ls1 thing. But I have been using the search feature on here like a **** for the past few months. I couldn't find anything by searching so I figured I would ask the question.

I recently installed a motor in my 02 Camaro. It was a motor I picked up from a guy at work, 99 LS1 w/ rebuild approx. 10,00 miles but it has been sitting for 5 years. The motor has factory 99' heads, 224/228 cam, Fast 90/90 and full bolt-ons if it matters. So I put the motor in a few months back and have been tinkering w/ it here and there because it is at my mom's house in Va.

Here is the problem I am having. I definitely have a coolant leak. It seems like it is leaking from the head gasket toward the rear passengers side of the motor. I checked the coolant plug where the temp sensor would screw in on the drivers side, I also checked another Allen headed plug in that area and both are dry. I also checked the steam tube on that side of the manifold (I did the ls6 crossover on the back) and it is dry also. The only place I can see the antifreeze or signs of leak are between the head and the block toward the rear maybe above #6 Piston area. Everything seems to be dry above the head gasket area. So, does this sounds like a head gasket cut and dry or is there something I am missing? Also, the car leaks water from this area running and just sitting there not running until it gets lower than the leak then it stops. Car runs good and strong and I hate to pulls heads but if I have to I have to.

I figured I would see if anyone else has had this issue or if I was missing something before I ordered new heads and cam. Figure if I have to pull the heads and do I new gasket I may as well do heads and a bigger cam too. Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check for the loose head bolts first. If gasket is the issue, might be a good idea to upgrade the heads/cam/lifters while you are there. No LS7 lifters to be safe, buy something expensive and reliable like caddy lifters.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only spots it could be arethe other ines you listed, just Pull heads and be done, $100 for GM head gaskets and bolts...OR buy 50 gallon drum of Dex-cool lol...pulling heads ain't bad, it's cam swap that takes a lot of time

Quick Reply: Coolant leak, possible head gasket (am I missing something?)