Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic balancer bolt torque ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harmonic balancer bolt torque ?

I'm installing my harmonic balancer bolt. I torqued the old bolt to 240 lb ft, installed the new bolt and torqued it to 37 lb ft. I was having trouble rigging up my cheapo torque angle gauge, so I decided to just eyeball the 140* twist. What concerns me is I've already gone to 240 lb ft, and I've only gotten about 90* of twist out of the bolt. I'm guessing it would take around 300 ft. lbs of torque or more to get to 140*. I guess I'm a little scared to go much beyond that. I sure don't want to break a 16mm bolt off in the crank. Does this sound normal, or did I screw up somewhere? thanks

Name:  2012-11-25_16-10-22_666.jpg
Views: 27081
Size:  113.2 KB
The following users liked this post:
Penny_SS (01-04-2020)
Old 11-25-2012, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Usually it is hard as hell to get to 140*, especially if you try to get it on multiple tries, it is a lot easier if you get it on the first try. I know it's a little late but some arp ultra lube on the bolt shoulder helps get to torque easier. If it feels like its gonna break then just leave it...unless you wanna buy another one. The arp crank bolt is def the way To go for a couple extra bucks.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, the initial torque of the old bolt is to ensure the balancer is fully installed. When you torque the new bolt, you are stretching it to yield for proper clamp. I used an ARP bolt because all those TTY bolts are known to sometimes snap. Even then the ARP bolt torque spec is 240ish ftbs too.

I suggest pulling it out and buying an ARP bolt....I think they are only $10 or so.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Get an ARP Bolt. It's $30 from most vendors and is well worth the investment.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies! I'm either going to leave it, or get the ARP bolt.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:47 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or sdparts.com has there own chromoly reusable bolt for a fraction of the ARP's cost.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by adamantium
Or sdparts.com has there own chromoly reusable bolt for a fraction of the ARP's cost.

Nothing against SDPC, but a lot of testing and engineering goes into ARP fasteners. They are worth the few extra dollars. Anything else is really just a grade 10.9 hardware store fastener. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it will hold up fine, I'm just ****.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
Nothing against SDPC, but a lot of testing and engineering goes into ARP fasteners. They are worth the few extra dollars. Anything else is really just a grade 10.9 hardware store fastener. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it will hold up fine, I'm just ****.
Trust me, from experience, the extra money for the ARP is cheap insurance.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:29 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
Any reference to our bolt being related to a hardware store fastener is simply misinformed and uncalled for.

We firmly stand behind our product and with well over a thousand of these bolts sold and in use there is no doubt that users will experience performance equal to that of the ARP fastener when using our SDPC brand balancer bolt.

We understand that not all customers are looking for the same thing, so we stock and sell both the ARP bolt and our SDPC branded bolt in order to offer our customers the parts that they desire. In turn, you should understand that sometimes you are simply paying more for packaging and a name.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 11-27-2012, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
Any reference to our bolt being related to a hardware store fastener is simply misinformed and uncalled for.

We firmly stand behind our product and with well over a thousand of these bolts sold and in use there is no doubt that users will experience performance equal to that of the ARP fastener when using our SDPC brand balancer bolt.

We understand that not all customers are looking for the same thing, so we stock and sell both the ARP bolt and our SDPC branded bolt in order to offer our customers the parts that they desire. In turn, you should understand that sometimes you are simply paying more for packaging and a name.
There is nothing wrong with a hardware store type of bolt. All I was stating that there is a lot of engineering and testing within ARP fasteners. In no way are they fool proof, but you can honestly say it's the best automotive fastener on the market. http://www.arp-bolts.com/pages/mfg_process.shtml

May I ask, who manufactures your bolt?
Old 11-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its very hard to make the numbers,is your car a 6speed or auto! I have a 6 speed,put it in 3rd and went for it ! No troubles at all motor run great.!

Quick Reply: Harmonic balancer bolt torque ?