Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tapping into a VSS signal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tapping into a VSS signal?

I was just curious if anyone has tapped into an existing VSS signal?

I have a 32 ppr signal on my trans that is used for ABS. I was curious if it would be a viable signal to tap into for the VSS for the ecu? Does it affect the signal when splitting it that it would be a problem? I wouldn't think so but stranger things have caused problems.

The ecu is expecting a 40 ppr signal and that the ecu can be changed for whatever sensor. I have a 4 ppr sensor that I can tie into my speedo cable but I have heard that cruise will not function with that low of a pulse count. Has anyone had any experience with this?

I have been able to find very little info about this so any insight would be helpful.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the E38 ECM and the 6L80 transmission. I am tapping into the the VSS signal that runs from the tranmission to the ECM and wiring that into my speedometer. My car is not running so I don't know for sure if it will work but some one else did the same thing and I think it worked in their car. As I understand it you cannot use the one for the ABS, at least on my car.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no one fits-all answer, depends on which ECM and possibly what OS is being used.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Tapping into the vss signal between the vss and trans may lower the signal amplitude to the pcm and cause shifting problems. I suggest using the vss outuo pin and having the os modified for correct. output.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Teching In

This is a manual trans that has a vss on the tail shaft. I am trying to get a vss signal to the PCM that it will be happy with. I have an add on 4 pulse per revolution vss that Ivan put on the speedometer cable. I have heard that 4 ppr is not enough resolution for the ECM to be happy with or for it to operate cruise control properly.

I had heard that the ECM could be changed to expect a different pulse per revolution but was unsure if 32 ppr would be good enough. Guess I need to keep looking. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd gamble that 32ppr would work. If not there are solutions to get around it.

I ran a GM DRAC in parallel with the TOSS on a 4l80E (E38/T42) and it worked fine. Is it the correct way? No. Did it work with no side effect? Yes.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

GM uses 17 or 40 tooth reluctors, so 32 will be fine.
Difficult to say on the effect of tapping into the signal. I do know there is a threshold voltage needed by the ecu. I found that out when I added a VSS for cruise control. I was able to increase voltage by decreasing the VSS reluctor gap.
And you are correct, the speedo inline VSS does not put out enough pulses for smooth dbw cruse control function.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

On my 1992 chevy pickup 5 speed manual i have it tapped int to my 1999 pcm and my trucks drac box with no problems.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by garys 68
GM uses 17 or 40 tooth reluctors, so 32 will be fine.
Difficult to say on the effect of tapping into the signal. I do know there is a threshold voltage needed by the ecu. I found that out when I added a VSS for cruise control. I was able to increase voltage by decreasing the VSS reluctor gap.
And you are correct, the speedo inline VSS does not put out enough pulses for smooth dbw cruse control function.
So for dbw cruise it is not enough PPR. I am using dbc and would be putting in the GM CC unit.

I would like to just use the VSS on the trans tailshaft as it would be cleaner and easier then the add on unit to the speedo cable.

Thanks for your input.

Quick Reply: Tapping into a VSS signal?