Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

QA1's or get my SLP Bilstein's rebuilt?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default QA1's or get my SLP Bilstein's rebuilt?

So I just updated my sig with all my mods. The car came with the factory SLP Bilstein's upgrade. I think I remember reading on their website that they can basically rebuild them for about $200. My SS has 110k miles on it and I just recently did the cam, heads, and intake. I feel like it's time to focus on the springs/ struts now. I should be around 420 whp and with the n20 past 500. So is it really the best option to get QA1's or are the bilsteins pretty nice when rebuilt (also I bought the car with 105k miles so I don't know what they should feel like). Well thanks for any input and sorry for all the noob questions, I had yet to really research and get into the shocks until now.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Im guessing you are going for a drag setup? Do you street drive the car too? Do you care about ride quality or handling at all?
Old 11-28-2012, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Im guessing you are going for a drag setup? Do you street drive the car too? Do you care about ride quality or handling at all?
Yeah I would like it as more of a drag setup but yes I do street drive the car as well. If it's a matter of ride quality and handling vs. being able to hook and launch then I would like to lean towards the drag setup but not make it completely unbearable on the street. Sorry kinda vague I know.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:46 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Your best value would be to sell off the Bilstein's and put that money toward a set of Strange or Afco adjustable shocks. The Bilstein shocks are good shocks, but for a street/strip application the quality and performance of the Strange or Afco shocks is what you need. The Strange shocks are the best bang for the buck, the Afco's are the best shock in the price range. I can get you into the Strange shocks for the same or less that what you will pay for the QA1s.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by B0dyDr0pp3d
Yeah I would like it as more of a drag setup but yes I do street drive the car as well. If it's a matter of ride quality and handling vs. being able to hook and launch then I would like to lean towards the drag setup but not make it completely unbearable on the street. Sorry kinda vague I know.
Yeah I wouldn't ruin a set of bilstiens by having them valved for drag racing... Try them the way they are (worn out shocks work well as drag shocks) and see how they do, if you want a better launch then spend the money on drag shocks.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Your best value would be to sell off the Bilstein's and put that money toward a set of Strange or Afco adjustable shocks. The Bilstein shocks are good shocks, but for a street/strip application the quality and performance of the Strange or Afco shocks is what you need. The Strange shocks are the best bang for the buck, the Afco's are the best shock in the price range. I can get you into the Strange shocks for the same or less that what you will pay for the QA1s.
^^^^ Bingo, de man is correct, I like the Afco first, then Strang, then QA1. I would suggest also going with double adjustable
good luck, Johnny

Quick Reply: QA1's or get my SLP Bilstein's rebuilt?