General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Pointers on flushing engine and trans

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pointers on flushing engine and trans

Id like to ask some advice on flushing the engine and trans. My car has 86k miles. What are some of the ways you guys do this and what materials do i need to get. Also if you could add your steps you do would be awesome thanks.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't bother. Just drain the fluids and replace with fresh ones, no need to "flush" anything.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How seafoam your car
Old 11-29-2012, 10:22 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would recommend just draining and replacing as well, although I would carefully check the fluids for any kind of metallic material. Is it just milage that worries you?
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 11-29-2012, 11:40 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Engine flushing can be done a variety of ways, from pouring in a quart of ATF and running it for a bit, all the way to hooking up to machines at the lube/rip off shops. Personally, I would just dump the oil and put in a quality synthetic and filter.

As for the transmission, well..........are we talking about an automatic? Has it been serviced at its scheduled intervals? Has the fluid/filter ever been changed? If not you might want to just leave it be or at most do a pan drop and filter change and then refill. I certainly wouldn't flush it if this unit has never been serviced before, because that can certainly kill it. If you find that incredible to believe just google the issue of AT's dying after flushing.

In summary, change your oil and filter with good quality stuff, and at most do a pan drop, filter change and refill on the AT. If you've got an MT well, do they even have oil? Lol..
Old 11-30-2012, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks yea i have a MT. The replys you guys gave me what i was looking for. I asked this guy i work with and he says he flushes his cars when he gets them so that got me thinkin maybe i should do that my engine has 86k miles on it i have no clue about the servicing its been thru. I know its been taken care of while ive had it, ill just stick with the regular changes then thanks
Old 11-30-2012, 10:57 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds good, 86k doesnt seem to be alot of milage out these motors anyway.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 12-29-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

like above don't flush if it's never been serviced. Just drain and replace if you haven't had any issues before.

Quick Reply: Pointers on flushing engine and trans