Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need info for Turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need info for Turbo build

Hey guys I need a little info but haven't been able to find it all through searching. My goal is to add a turbo/turbos to my stock 5.7L 98 SS for as little money as possible. I plan on doing all the fabrication myself. My HP goal is around 500. Right now my only relevant mod is a Racetronix 255lph w/ hotwire kit. I would like to build something that will last at least a year, but I know eventually this motor will go. When that happens I want to build a 5.3 or some sort of LQ# setup and use the same turbo setup. At this time I would want to achieve somewhere around 700hp with the built motor. I know this will envolve more money and more parts ie: bigger turbo, fuel, intake, heads... The idea is to get away with buying/paying as little as possible now, but being able to use most of the turbo parts later. Thanks in advance for the help.

-Dustin
Old 11-30-2012, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

I may have missed it, but what exactly is your question(s)?
Old 11-30-2012, 05:17 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cheapest way is going to be building your own truck manifold kit with a ebay 76mm turbo and ebay fmic.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry if I didn't phrase it right. I'm trying to do a cheap turbo build (<$3k) I prefer to spend less now. I only want to upgrade what I need to to support 500hp to the wheels on my 5.7L. Not sure what I can leave and what needs to be upgraded. I plan on upgrading later but do not want to redo everything later if I can get away with it.

So far I got that I need to do a truck manifold setup with custom plumbing. Buy a cheap (probably t4) turbo that I can replace later. FMIC maybe ebay but will this work later for 700hp? I'm ok with buying a good BOV and waste gate if I can reuse them.

Do I need to upgrade heads, cam, tb, fuel pump or rails?

Sorry for the annoying thread. Just trying to budget and plan for this.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, like said above a Truck Manifold setup with an eBay 76mm (T4) turbo and an eBay FMIC would be cheapest. The FMIC can stay, just make sure its a 31x12x4" one. CXRacing is the most used. TiAL BOV and Wastegates. As far as heads, yes, maybe no. Unless you can get E85 or want to run a meth kit I would do 317 (LQ9/4) heads to drop compression. As for a cam, I would contact Martin at Tick Performance and tell him you want something that will work now and later. You will need another 255LPH fuel pump at least. Keep the rails, run 60+lb injectors.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Need info for Turbo build