General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Where is the ideal place to mount an electric cutout?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Where is the ideal place to mount an electric cutout?

I'm gonna be running ORY into a gmmg. Thinking about the resinator in the I pipe, what's the populart place to put the e-cutout?,single or duel? Pics would be awesome.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:42 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A single right after the ORY is a common spot, and allow for easy access from the passenger side under the car if needed. Or twins in the straight sections of each side of the ORY is also commonly done.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 11-30-2012, 11:46 AM
Launching!

What's the benefit of the twin? Any sound/performance difference? I'm not sure if there will be enough room with the resinator to put it in the I pipe
Old 11-30-2012, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I have been thinking about putting one on the main pipe on my stock WS6 exhaust, toward the rear of the 3 1/2 or 4" pipe and before the rear axle. I won't be putting headers or an aftermarket exhaust on this car.

What do you think of this idea? Any reason not to?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trans damm
What's the benefit of the twin? Any sound/performance difference? I'm not sure if there will be enough room with the resinator to put it in the I pipe
I got duals on my car but if i did it again id save the money and just use a single after y pipe. I think they sound close but my duals are little louder.

Originally Posted by ghardester
I have been thinking about putting one on the main pipe on my stock WS6 exhaust, toward the rear of the 3 1/2 or 4" pipe and before the rear axle. I won't be putting headers or an aftermarket exhaust on this car.

What do you think of this idea? Any reason not to?
If you want to make your car louder and still be able to make it quite when you want, then go for it. If you ever decide to do longtubes, itll make the cutout sound even better.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 97camaro383
If you want to make your car louder and still be able to make it quite when you want, then go for it. If you ever decide to do longtubes, itll make the cutout sound even better.
Yes, that is my general idea. The stock WS6 exhaust is fine for me for daily driving purposes. I do not want to deal with the constant loud drone of headers and aftermarket exhaust with my daily driver. I did put a custom exhaust and Flowmaster on my previous Bird but on long trips I just wish I could turn it down.

The stock 2002 manifolds are pretty free flowing but sometimes in the summer I just wish I had it louder, for a little while, and I think I'll install and electric cut out on the main stem of the exhaust. I have an excellent local exhaust shop who does some of the major hot rods around here and I would have him install it.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

The closer to you headers the louder but will also affect your tune. Some will say that you need a separate tune if you are opening up your headers. After the Y is popular but it will drone and can still require a retune. After the axle works well for sound. Doesn't drown you out but is still loud enough to set off car alarms. This location will not gain you much in HP.
If you don't have cats that will affect the sound a lot also making it more raspy.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

End of the I. I have one on my z28 and love it. It is a daily driver as well. I'm really glad I didn't fork over a ton of money for full exhaust being that I am still in school. I picked my e-cutout up on CL for like $100 brand new with the Y and had an exhaust shop cut and weld it in for $38. There is almost a little cubby in the floor pan for the electric motor to tuck up into a little also. There is a rubber grommet in the floor right there too. It's almost like one was made to go there. Lol
Old 12-01-2012, 08:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by T-Top
End of the I. I have one on my z28 and love it. It is a daily driver as well. I'm really glad I didn't fork over a ton of money for full exhaust being that I am still in school. I picked my e-cutout up on CL for like $100 brand new with the Y and had an exhaust shop cut and weld it in for $38. There is almost a little cubby in the floor pan for the electric motor to tuck up into a little also. There is a rubber grommet in the floor right there too. It's almost like one was made to go there. Lol
Pics?
Old 12-03-2012, 02:21 PM
12 Second Club

If you look infront of the rear wheel on the passenger side, you'll see the cubby hole he talking about. Its perfect for a cutout

Quick Reply: Where is the ideal place to mount an electric cutout?