Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

High Pitch Whining/clicking when stopping

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool High Pitch Whining/clicking when stopping

Ok, this has been discussed before, but not in this instance. I have a high pitch whine and a clicking when stopping/making left hand turns. There are tons of TSBs, but no solid answer. So let me go over what I found...
Differential started howling around 48,000 miles when I bought the car, used, 1 owner. Had it rebuilt. It was set incorrectly at first, but before driving too long, I had it redone by the same shop and a more trustworthy technician. Pinion seal kept leaking, was replaced 2nd time.
There was a high pitch howl/whining ever since he replaced it. I used Yukon 3.42 gears and timken bearings. The reason it went in the first place is that it was ran low on fluid, and the dealership overfilled it to mask the noise when I picked it up. Anyways, it persisted and he replaced my clutch, throwout bearing, etc. Still persisted. The clicking is something that started occuring recently.
I took the car to a diff/trans shop that's been doing this since 1968. The guy knows his stuff, but he's never seen a Torsen2 carrier before .... Hmm? He built race cars and fixed ppls mistakes and 9" ford rears, etc. So he found that the pinion seal was installed incorrectly, replaced it, put Amsoil severe gear oil 75w90 and 2 bottles of GM factory friction modifier in. I left the parking lot, it sounded the same as when I brought it in.
After doing research, I read that the clicking could come from the Torsen. While the howling didn't make sense. We put it back on the lift that night and ran it at 55-70 in 5th gear. Driveshaft rattles/whines like crazy. It's the factory GM aluminum 1 piece driveshaft, manufactured by Three Rivers Axle and Gear Manufacturing. Sound was coming from the inside of the shaft, but since it's hollow it was hard to diagnose exactly where.

Do you guys think that high pitch whine is from the clanking inside the shaft? They are supposed to only have foam/cardboard inside, if that. Second, clicking coming from the driveshaft or the Torsen? I'm scared the Torsen will go and take my new gears with it.
Backlash: 0.016 (recommended 0.006-0.008) Preload: 8 ft/pd (recommended 12-15)...
BUT, in despite of these... the mesh of the gears is correct. The pattern is set properly.

Very puzzled. Any input welcome!!! Thanks.

Quick Reply: High Pitch Whining/clicking when stopping