General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Door hinge creaks

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 08:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Door hinge creaks

My driver door hinge has been creaking for awhile, and it appears it's because some sort of bushing has worked it's way up and almost out of the hinge assembly. The OEM bushing is only available as part of the hinge, which is no longer available.

Any recommendations on how to properly repair this? I'm hoping I don't need to resort to finding a used hinge and potentially having to repaint it to match.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a thought here, have you tried going to a junkyard and getting the part?
Old 12-01-2012, 09:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah but I figured the state of the hinge components would be unknown as well as possibly needing to be painted. I see there are Dorman pin & bushing repair kits online, I wonder how much of a PITA it is to swap them out?
Old 12-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by JimMueller
I see there are Dorman pin & bushing repair kits online
Probably not for your car...

Can you post a picture? That will help tremendously.

I did a hinge rebuild on my car with greasable bushings. I think if I had to do it over again, I'd go with the non-greasable. But... that may not be your issue here. Looking forward to a pick.

BTW - Working on these things is a total bitch...
Old 12-01-2012, 10:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Photo as requested.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Save the manuals!

Yea... that baby is toast. You might try calling Classic Industries on Monday. At some point they WILL have the part. The thing is there is always a lull between GM discontinuing the part and an aftermarket OEM picking up the tooling and starting production.

You may have to go salvage or ask a GM parts person nicely to do a nationwide search for the part. (It could be sitting on some po-dunk dealers shelf somewhere.) This search takes a little effort and some times the parts guys don't like doing them.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Save the manuals!

I just checked and they have the right hand side online: http://www.classicindustries.com/fir...rts/g6268.html

If you call, they should be able to confirm if they can get the driver's side. Please post back with what you find.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Junkie

I went to Autozone and they said the Dorman PN 38493 is listed as being the kit I need.

Link

Doesn't look exactly the same, but the OE numbers it references are listed with the hinges in the OEM parts catalog?
Old 12-01-2012, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Lol just grease it up! That's what I did with my camaro though it didn't look as bad as yours
Old 12-01-2012, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you try some WD-40 first? mine made a little noise and thats what I did to help it.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry but wd40 is a terrible recommendation. If you are going to try a quick fix spray lithium grease is much better as wd40 evaporates eventually. Ive used white lithium this summer and applied it twice, the creaking is gone but I know the problem isnt.

My ta has no bushing left anywhere, and I asked a old body man if i can just buy a cheap doorman replacement. He said that you have to weigh the value of your time / effort vs the part and in order to remove the door and cut out the old pin you would be looking at a hell of a time. while replacing the whole hinge would be much simpler and cost effective in the long run.
also when replacing the door hinge you could easily paint both black and a non-fbody fanatic would never know. Have you ever looked at the door hinge of a car to buy before? Easily overlooked detail you are worried about
Old 12-02-2012, 02:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks for posting that link up wssix99! I didn't even know they made them.

I usually got to Rockauto and forget about Classic industries... :o
Old 12-02-2012, 07:11 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by JimMueller
I went to Autozone and they said the Dorman PN 38493 is listed as being the kit I need.

Link

Doesn't look exactly the same, but the OE numbers it references are listed with the hinges in the OEM parts catalog?
The Dorman kit replaces the two pins at the top and bottom of the hinge - that's not your problem. (I used a similar kit to do my hinge rebuild.) What you need is a new roller and that's integral to the hinge itself. I haven't seen a kit yet that will repair the roller.

Originally Posted by 777Shock777
thanks for posting that link up wssix99! I didn't even know they made them.

I usually got to Rockauto and forget about Classic industries... :o
The more time goes on, the more we'll have to go to CI. As I understand it, they either purchase GM tooling or partner with the companies who have it/purchase it to keep getting these parts. At some point, the auto parts stores will start dropping the parts due to demand.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My god why have I never heard of that company before! I've been needing a new center console for ssssooooo loooonnngggg.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by wssix99
I just checked and they have the right hand side online: http://www.classicindustries.com/fir...rts/g6268.html

If you call, they should be able to confirm if they can get the driver's side. Please post back with what you find.
CI states the LH side as being discontinued by the manufacturer (GM) and no longer available. Also, he advises the aftermarket has not yet begun making replacement door hinges nor do they have the tooling.

I spoke with our local F-body part-out shop and he's getting a pewter car delivered in a few days. Hopefully the hinge will be in good shape and in the interim I can use the white lithium grease.

Quick Reply: Door hinge creaks