Advise

Old 12-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise

Hey,

I don't post much (probably has been 2+ years) but I have an issue that I thought i would post here to see what yall think is the best course.

I have a 2002 Z28 which just blew up. I started it up about a week ago and it just made a horrible noise; i'm sure its probably a bent rod or worse. It ran for about 10 seconds and I shut it off then tried to restart it after a little while and the starter won't turn the engine over any more. Nothing came thru the block or oil pan, and no metal shavings after I drained the oil, however the oil was chocolate brown, and the water is down quite a bit in the radiator so I'm pretty sure it was a bad head gasket which caused a hydrolock. I never noticed it smoking or anything it was basically a surprise. The radiator did overflow a couple years ago but I replaced the cap and refilled it and it had been fine until last week... basically a mystery.

A couple years ago, I would have used this as a reason to build a better motor, but I just had a son a few months ago and really don't have the time or garage space/tools to do it myself. I travel a lot for work and also work at my church on Sundays as a sound engineer so I don't have a lot of time. I have been thinking of selling the car anyway recently and getting something with 4 doors since driving with my son and wife in the Camaro is not very safe (she has to go all they way forward and is probably too close to the airbag).

The car is a clean black 2002 Z28 on replica C5 Z06 wheels, T-top M6, clean title, everything works, no noises from tranny or rearend, good AC. Only mods are Lid, catted Pacesetter LT's, catback and tune (I have HP tuners which I would be willing to sell with the roller). There are no issues with the car besides the motor and it will pass obd2 inspection but could use new tires and will need brake pads soon. I'm pretty sure the previous owner sprayed a dry shot, because it had holes drilled in the lid when I got it (lid has been replaced). Bought it from a dealer so I don't know the history and I've owned it about 4.5 years. Has never given me any issues to speak of until it blew up.

Basically, do yall think it would be better financially to sell the car as a roller or have someone rebuild the motor to running condition, and trade it in / sell it as a working car? I don't really have the time or motivation to part it out and figure now is a good of a time as any to get a car that is more useful to me now that I have a family.

Thanks...

And if anyone is out there looking for a really clean roller go ahead and make me an offer. Might also consider a partial trade for G8/CTS-V, I can bring a fair amount of cash to the table.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

Id put a 5.3 in it and sell it to school kid.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

How much are you looking to get?
Old 12-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Teching In

if you are going to pay someone to put a new/used motor in your car, I would say it is better to sale the roller. Or part it out and sale a bare roller, but that takes a lot of time.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

just sell it as is.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by billetproof97'
How much are you looking to get?
Not sure yet... I'm going to ask around some shops next week and see how much it will cost to rebuild. But I figure it will be more expensive to rebuild and sell than just sell as is to someone who wants a project or has a motor looking for a home.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

I would love a t-top camaro. Got any more pics of her?
Old 12-01-2012, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

I think after seeing shop prices, it will be better to sell as a roller. Doing the work your self is the cheaper option, but also time consuming. Unfortunately the car may not even taken from a dealer as a trade in, and even if it was they won't give you any good money on it. If its a cheap fix, I would say go for it.

GLWS

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advise