Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is it possible to get a CARB/BAR sticker from crate engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it possible to get a CARB/BAR sticker from crate engine?

hey guys. I have a question for the folks that live in the great state of Banifornia! I have a non LSx car. I plan to put a GMMP crate motor, lets say the LS3. can I put 2008-up emissions equipment and tell the smog referee that is either an 08, 09, 10, etc? will I pass the visual?

thanks.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your best bet would be to buy the E-rod crate motor kit from GMPP, and to follow the directions very carefully. The E-rod motor is a 430hp LS3 and it's CARB approved IF properly installed. I read an article in some ricer magazine that was laying around at work, where they put one in a Nissan and they failed there ref inspection on there first try because they used the wrong fuel pressure regulator. So every little detail has to be right or you'll fail.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FRY is right the EROD engine package is the only way in CA to do this swap (CARB LEGAL) and now they offer 3 different engine packages but $$$$$$$$$ you would be looking around 10k for the truck style EROD package and its only at 325hp and everything to keep it CARB legal has to come through GM
Old 12-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that puts me up a creek cuz i have an 04 body. EROD as of now can be installed only in pre 96 OBDii cars. GMMP is trying to get approval for newer cars for the EROD i think. I'm SOL.

I just want to know if they check the engine numbers to see if its from a donor car or if they ask for a VIN number. its kinda hard to get a donor rolling chasis. them LS3s dont last long at the junkyard.

about 12 years ago i did a swap and got a sticker and they never asked for VIN on donor car.

Quick Reply: is it possible to get a CARB/BAR sticker from crate engine?