Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

WS6 a good first car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WS6 a good first car?

So I am 21 and looking for a Ws6 as a first car. I love the 4 gen bodies and was curious to hear from other people what they think. I have has my licence since I was 16 so I have been driving for a while. Also, if there are any other Canadians on this forum I am curious to know how much they pay for insurance and gas (typical MPG).

Since this is my first time on this forum any other things I should look for before buy this car?

Thanks,

Macho
Old 12-04-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my first LS1 Trans Am at the age of 18, age will not be a factor. It just depends how mature you are and how much you respect the car
Old 12-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Teching In

I bought my Trans Am at 18 and insurance was not nearly as bad as I expected. I average around 20-21 mpg, not too bad for the car. It is a great first car as long as you don't have to drive it in the snow.. I ended up buying a second car for that.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

I bought mine when I was 18. It has been a solid car. I have only put 200 miles on it since july though. DD subaru ftw.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

You are old enough to handle one at 21. I can't recommend this car to the average teenager though. Any LS1 F-body can be a bear to handle in the wet which is why I always suggest to get the best tire that you can buy. This will be important for you in Canada. I know the Michelins and Goodyear GS-D3 are priced close to $1,000 for a set but when you have to lay out $500 for 'crap' tires it is worth the extra money. It is amazing how well the Goodyear GS-D3's hook up in the wet and I have been in some nasty rain storms on mountainous curvy roads. I have 16+ years driving experience in these F-bodies (my first was a '96 Formula) and they can become addictive. I love them more than any other car I have owned and that includes some sweet cars that I have recently sold in the past year. I will say that you need to get a nice one though. If you get a modded abused example you will not be a happy owner. Pick out a good one and good luck!!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got my first LS1 Trans Am at the age of 19 Now im 20 lol but I am addicted to my car! Its hell of fun to drive and to work on them
Old 12-06-2012, 12:22 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys so much,

Like my dad has an 87 firebird that he got rid of recently bc it was sitting for to long the the engine was shot. I love the 4th gen body especially the WS6. Man ever since I can remember I loved these cars. Everytime I see any Firebird I give mad respect to the driver. And another reason y I want one is bc it is not your average car. Not many people here in canada especially in Toronto have on. I do not want to be one of those guys that has the same car as the guy down the street.

I really appreciate your feedback and if you got anymore tips for me that would be great,

Thanks,

Macho
Old 12-07-2012, 01:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say it depends on the person driving it. I've known many people that couldn't handle 14 and 15 sec cars. My close friends and i have all had/driven 13 sec and lower cars since before we had our licenses.

If you really want a ws6, don't rule out getting a regular T/A, then putting a hood on it, unless you want the code on the door. I got my 99 because it was a good deal and already had suspension started, then i found a NEW Trufiber WS9 hood on craigslist for $200. I'm in the car for way less than the average M6 WS6 around here
Old 12-07-2012, 03:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

I know people in their 30s not ready for an Ls based car.

Respect it or it will hurt you.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Teching In

I was set on a WS6 and I had planned to drive over 8 hours to buy one. The day before I left there was a Trans Am that popped up on Craigslist thirty minutes away for $5,000 under blue book. I couldn't help but jump on it. I will probably add a hood someday.

I drive a Jetta TDI wagon everyday as I don't know that I would want to drive the trans am with bald 315's in the back in the snow..

Would you be driving it year round?
Old 12-07-2012, 07:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lemons12
I know people in their 30s not ready for an Ls based car.

So true, my dad had an employee once who abused his cars and then complained to my dad about the build quality.. He had a 1998 Ford Contour SVT which he swore was faster than my Trans Am.. His reasoning, "Because they aren't made anymore." Yes, because that makes sense..

He only had 5 accidents in a matter of 6 years.. and they weren't even fast cars..
Old 12-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Teching In

I own an RSX and a trans am, the RSX's insurance is double what the trans am's insurance is, kinda ridiculous. As long as you've been driving for a while I don't see why a WS6 would be a bad first car, maybe if you were 16 and just learning how to drive I would say no don't get it.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Regular

Just use common sense when driving a rwd, nose-heavy torque monster. It is easy to get them out of shape, and they will do it a hurry. Once you get comfortable driving it, it's a blast.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Got mine when i turned 16, loved the ls1 power it puts out. I have fun working on it and modding. I'd say keep your foot out of it, but that would make me a hippocrate XD
Old 12-10-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

had mine since i was 17.. decent car.. kinda hate it at times.. save for a vette
Old 12-11-2012, 11:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had mine sense I was 16 and I loved/love it. It's great in stock form but once you start modding it you get more problems of course.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought mine at 17, put the 402 in it at 19, Im 22 now and the car makes over 500 rwhp.

It has always acted exactly as I expected it to, and still gets decent mileage unless I am racing.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Beck2013
So true, my dad had an employee once who abused his cars and then complained to my dad about the build quality.. He had a 1998 Ford Contour SVT which he swore was faster than my Trans Am.. His reasoning, "Because they aren't made anymore." Yes, because that makes sense..

He only had 5 accidents in a matter of 6 years.. and they weren't even fast cars..
lol they dont make chevy chevettes anymore either but i wouldnt claim one of those as being faster than a good moped, let alone a trans am.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lemons12

THIS. To the OP, I've had my TA for about a year and a half now (go it when I was turning 20, now 21, and it really is a car that demands respect; the torque comes on so strong at 3500+rpm it can be unexpected, and it's a car that WILL hurt you if you can't handle the power/torque correctly. i'd driven my dad's 1900lb '80 Triumph TR8 with 310RWHP before buying my TA and i was still shocked when i first floored my car and experienced how hard the LS1 pulls. i went with a regular TA because it was cheaper than a WS6 and it's almost the same car (no hp difference, different hood and suspension), so of course keep em in mind too. I'd say find a good deal and jump on it though, 4th gens are awesome fun to drive and relatively easy to work on/maintain! Good luck!
Old 12-29-2012, 05:06 PM

Default WS6 as first car

Age has nothing to do with it. It's a combination of driving talent, driving experience, and maturity. A few guys on here hit the nail on the head when they said to respect the car. I got my first car (Monte Carlo) and started driving at 15. I got my license at 17. I got a GTA at 20, and I crashed it a year later. I was found at 0% fault cause a guy jumped a stop sign, but truth be told, if I was driving more slowly and more defensively the crash my not happened. He should be thankful I drive as well as I do cause I was able to steer enough that I only clipped his front bumper instead of T-Boning the old b@stard. I now own an LS1, and even tho I've always been mature and mellow, and not to horrible behind the wheel, I thank God I didn't own an LS1 as a first car. I always recommend a weak beater as a first car just to get used to mechanics and physics, and learn reflex. If you go the beater route, make sure you buy something similar to what your end goal is. Like buying a Chevy Cobalt that is a 4 cylinder front wheel drive, will not prepare you for a LS1 V8 rear wheel drive fire breather. It is possible to have this as a first car as long as your really take it easy learning the car and how it handles and responds and respecting it.

Quick Reply: WS6 a good first car?