Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FMS 228 114 is in!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMS 228 114 is in!

I just finished up this weekend. This was my first time working internaly on the engine. It took me 3 days, with help on the first day. It runs, but im having a tough time with the idle. I drilled the TB and it helped somewhat, but not as much as I had hoped. I guess tuning is in order when the funds come.

Sounds pretty mean. It is louder and has a small lope. Hopefully, it will sound better after the tune.

During the install I only ran into two hang-ups. One, I dropped a retainer lock when changing the springs, and it just vanished. I guess that little gremlin got it, the same one who steals my socks, sockets, keys, and what not.

Then I broke a water pump bolt off in my head. I was using it with a spring compressor tool. It snapped off flush behingd the cowl so I couldnt get a drill back there to get it out. I finnaly had to use a dremel and cut a slit in the top and use a shorty flathead to get it out.

Overall it was a great experience, and I would recommend anyone who hasent done it yet, to give it a try if they get the chance. Man, I cant wait to see what this thing does at the dyno and the track. Hopefully, Ill have some numbers soon.

SPECIAL THANKS

JRP- For the many hours you gave up to help someone whom you hardly know. For your knowledge concerning the install, and your perserverance in spite of the fact that you had a broken arm, and the fact that we worked until 4am on the morning of your birthday. (Jeez, he sounds like a war hero or somthing ). For real though, I could not have done it without you. Many Thanks.

BLOWN CHEVY- Thanks for those retainer locks, bro. My car would still be up on blocks today if you had not come through. I owe you one.

jmX- For the vital tip on getting that bolt out with a dremel. You are either a genius or have been there before. You da man, Thanks.

Sorry for the long post everyone, I guess im still buzzing from the completion of all of the hard work. Take Care.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Revelation222
I just finished up this weekend. This was my first time working internaly on the engine. It took me 3 days, with help on the first day. It runs, but im having a tough time with the idle. I drilled the TB and it helped somewhat, but not as much as I had hoped. I guess tuning is in order when the funds come.

Sounds pretty mean. It is louder and has a small lope. Hopefully, it will sound better after the tune.

During the install I only ran into two hang-ups. One, I dropped a retainer lock when changing the springs, and it just vanished. I guess that little gremlin got it, the same one who steals my socks, sockets, keys, and what not.

Then I broke a water pump bolt off in my head. I was using it with a spring compressor tool. It snapped off flush behingd the cowl so I couldnt get a drill back there to get it out. I finnaly had to use a dremel and cut a slit in the top and use a shorty flathead to get it out.

Overall it was a great experience, and I would recommend anyone who hasent done it yet, to give it a try if they get the chance. Man, I cant wait to see what this thing does at the dyno and the track. Hopefully, Ill have some numbers soon.

SPECIAL THANKS

JRP- For the many hours you gave up to help someone whom you hardly know. For your knowledge concerning the install, and your perserverance in spite of the fact that you had a broken arm, and the fact that we worked until 4am on the morning of your birthday. (Jeez, he sounds like a war hero or somthing ). For real though, I could not have done it without you. Many Thanks.

BLOWN CHEVY- Thanks for those retainer locks, bro. My car would still be up on blocks today if you had not come through. I owe you one.

jmX- For the vital tip on getting that bolt out with a dremel. You are either a genius or have been there before. You da man, Thanks.

Sorry for the long post everyone, I guess im still buzzing from the completion of all of the hard work. Take Care.
I'm looking forward to seeing your numbers after a tune. I'm looking at the Futral F10..228/228 .581/112 or 114 LSA for my Z06.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

A friend and I will be doing this install April 23-25. I broke the stock balancer and it did some damage to the front of the motor so I have to pull it all anyways. I am installing a FMS F4 226/226 .575/.575 LSA 112, Comp 918 springs, Comp Ti Retainers Comp Hardened Push Rods, ASP UD Pulley, MSD Wires, NGK Plugs, JWIS Timing Chain, and an LS6 oil pump.

I bought all new valve locks/keepers as well. It is real easy to loose one of those little buggers. Plus it is cheap insurance.

I can't wait to get started. Parts started showing up yesterday!
Old 04-13-2004, 09:45 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

im just glad you got it all back together without to much down time. every cam install has its little mishaps, so i dont think it was to bad considering . cant wait to see the new dyno numbers after the tune. if no nobody in your area has atap/efi we can log some data with my **** when you drop off the toold.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrp
im just glad you got it all back together without to much down time. every cam install has its little mishaps, so i dont think it was to bad considering . cant wait to see the new dyno numbers after the tune. if no nobody in your area has atap/efi we can log some data with my **** when you drop off the toold.
Good Deal. Hopefully, I can get out there this weekend.

Can you get a/f readings on efi live?
Old 04-13-2004, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am thinking about the same cam. How is the idle? Is it driveable? I cant wait to see your numbers. Keep us posted. thanks
Old 04-13-2004, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PunkNPonys
I am thinking about the same cam. How is the idle? Is it driveable? I cant wait to see your numbers. Keep us posted. thanks
Well, untuned, im having trouble with the idle. I drilled the TB, but I have to keep it above 1k to keep it running. Other than that it drives great. One more day of going easy on the springs then I'll go WOT and see how the car responds. I think once the pcm adjusts slightly after a few miles it will be better anyways.

Im sure after tuning it will be just what im looking for in my daily driver. I guess we will see.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Grats on the install, don't feel to bad everybody has issues with installs.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:47 PM
blownerator

SWEET! Glad you got it running! Be careful with all of that new power!
Old 04-14-2004, 12:09 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good Deal. Hopefully, I can get out there this weekend.

Can you get a/f readings on efi live?
yes you can get a/f readings from efi, though not as accuurate as a wideband.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:34 AM
pdd
TECH Veteran

congrats. im puttin in the same cam. are u reusing the stock lifters??
Old 04-14-2004, 12:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude get a tune and that cam will be tame as hell, lots of power but except at idle where it will shake a little bit it will feel stock. Seriously get a tune before anything else and that cam will be VERY VERY driveable. I have a bigger cam and granted I have an M6 but I can barely tell I have a cam until 5k rpm!
Old 04-14-2004, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The F10 on a 114 should be very drivable. I have the F11 on a 112 nice lope and great on the road.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pdd
congrats. im puttin in the same cam. are u reusing the stock lifters??
Yea, same ones with 94k on them. They should be fine.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:40 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Yea, same ones with 94k on them. They should be fine.
awesum. thanks for the reply