Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flexplate spacer.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flexplate spacer.

I have a 03 6.0 that had a 4l80 behind it. I'm using a 4l60. Do I need the spacer on the flexplate or do I need to remove it?

Thanks
Stan.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BiPoLaR ReHaB
I have a 03 6.0 that had a 4l80 behind it. I'm using a 4l60. Do I need the spacer on the flexplate or do I need to remove it?

Thanks
Stan.
If the 4l60 is an older trans, yes you will. I f you are using a 4l60e off of an LS engine you will need a flexplate from an LS engine. If the 4l60e is off of a 4.3 or and SBC style engine you can use your current flywheel, just have to open the TC mounting holes some.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99VetteFRC
If the 4l60 is an older trans, yes you will. I f you are using a 4l60e off of an LS engine you will need a flexplate from an LS engine. If the 4l60e is off of a 4.3 or and SBC style engine you can use your current flywheel, just have to open the TC mounting holes some.
The trans is from a 99 vette. So if I'm getting it right, I need the dish style flexplate?
Old 12-06-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The trans is from a 99 vette. So if I'm getting it right, I need the dish style flexplate?
How are you using this trans? Did you modify the internals so it would use a driveshaft. Are you doing something more custom? I'm not sure if the bellhousing will even bolt to the trans without some kind of mod or adapter.

Are you putting the 6.0 in the C5, if so, just use the ls1 flexplate.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:09 AM
Teching In

Ok, I see what your saying now. I got a intake,PCM, and trans from my cousin that he said he pulled from a 99 vette. He's been a mechanic for 30yrs and I know he knows his cars for sure. But after doing some more research I see there's know way this trans is from a vette. I also learned that a 99 vette should have been DBW and my TB is a DBC. Is there anyway I can pull part numbers to see what I got?

This is my trans.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Your transmission is from an F-Body (Camaro / Firebird). Under the rag, is there a bolt at the top of the bellhousing or not? How many bolts are on the tailshaft? Looks like the newer six bolt style.

If it's all (intake, throttle body and trans) from a 1999 F-Body, no spacer required. Just use the F-Body flexplate and converter.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Your transmission is from an F-Body (Camaro / Firebird). Under the rag, is there a bolt at the top of the bellhousing or not? How many bolts are on the tailshaft? Looks like the newer six bolt style.

If it's all (intake, throttle body and trans) from a 1999 F-Body, no spacer required. Just use the F-Body flexplate and converter.
Yes sir there is a top bolt hole and the tail shaft is 6 bolt. Good or bad? It's also has a reman label on it.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is the flex-plate for a 460E behind an LS1 counter weighted?
Old 12-07-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes sir there is a top bolt hole and the tail shaft is 6 bolt. Good or bad? It's also has a reman label on it.
With a top bolt tells me it is a Gen III transmission, no spacer required.
My 4L60E in the Thunderbird was straight out of the wrecking yard with a GM reman sticker and I've beat on it the last three years with only a fluid and filter change before I installed it and each year since. I can't say you will be so lucky but you never know. I was on a tight budget...

Quick Reply: Flexplate spacer.