Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Might purchase GTO, will i be happy with an auto?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might purchase GTO, will i be happy with an auto?

Looking at getting an 04. Problem is that most in my area are autos.

I currently drive an 04 Silverado CC Lm7/4l60e so i am familiar with the variation of the transmission. All i know is that the truck 4L60e even with a vette servo is rough and can never find the right gear.

Subject probably has been beat to death but figure i'd ask anyway.

Will i regret getting the auto? I dont plan on tracking or racing. Looking to add a few mods down the road, ie. H/C/I

If i do get the auto and cam it i realize i will have to get a stall of some sort which would most likely add a grand installed to the list of mods. (i was gonna build the truck up but decided i wanted something faster).

My brother used to own an cammed LS2 GTO. Now drives a cammed LS6 CTS-V. So pretty familiar with LS motors.

Just want to make sure that i make a good choice. Either way i want an LS motor and dont want an F-body and cannot afford Vette or Caddy. So that pretty much just leaves the GTO.

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I just can't stand driving an auto sports car

Drag racing is a different story but for a weekend toy I don't feel like I enjoy the experience as much unless I'm picking my own gears and using a clutch, plus the 10% extra parasitic loss just irks me.

The one exception I've had was driving an electrohydraulic manual trans car. I would take an SMG BMW, Ferrari, Lambo, etc. over their regular manual trans counterparts. Regular auto trans with paddle shifter feel horrible after driving an SMG.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 409CISecondGen

Drag racing is a different story but for a weekend toy I don't feel like I enjoy the experience as much unless I'm picking my own gears and using a clutch, plus the 10% extra parasitic loss just irks me.

The one exception I've had was driving an electrohydraulic manual trans car. I would take an SMG BMW, Ferrari, Lambo, etc. over their manual trans counterparts. Regular auto trans with paddle shifter feel horrible after driving an SMG.
I know what you mean. Before the truck i was a Euro fanboi and had a 2004 VW R32 w/ a 6spd. I've driven dual clutch autos and they are quite impressive but leave much to be desired.

I might hate myself if i get an auto. gotta keep searching i guess.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

get 6spd its worth the wait.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have to ask this question, you already know the answer. Maybe expand your search area or save some more cash until you find one.

I was in the same spot last year, almost turned my 2500HD into a "race truck" due to a the lack of a toy, lol. Wanted a C6 but couldn't justify the payments for a car I'll only use 6-8 months a year. I went with an '06 GTO M6 and absolutely love the car.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Death{AW}
get 6spd its worth the wait.
This.

Also, go with an 05/06. They have more power, and the hood looks better too.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

I'm happy with my auto. In fact all 3 of my GTOs have been autos.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty much if you want your car for weekend driving and cruising around I think you will be good with a Manual. If you plan to invest money into your car performance wise and you want to hit the track often your better off with a auto, unless you are a good shifter
Old 12-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 409CISecondGen

The one exception I've had was driving an electrohydraulic manual trans car. I would take an SMG BMW, Ferrari, Lambo, etc. over their regular manual trans counterparts. Regular auto trans with paddle shifter feel horrible after driving an SMG.
I hve found that I feel the same. I need to have the 6-sp for the fun of back roads with curves as well as hyw runs.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

manually shift the auto

Old 12-07-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

manual if the car will be a dd/wknd driver.

if you plan to do serious drag racing, then
auto all the way.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like you want a 6speed. I have an auto Z28, and I don't have a problem finding the right gear. I my just as happy with my auto Z if not more, as I am with my manual GTO. They both have there pro and cons, and I couldn't decide which one I wanted more.

Last edited by codysgto; 12-08-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Buy the auto and throw a converter in it. Then laugh at the M6 guys.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a manual.

Youre buying the car to drive and enjoy it.
A slush box is for women and fast drag cars and will be completely disconnecting you from the visceral feeling from a shift **** connected to the back of a V8.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 05TurboCGM
Buy the auto and throw a converter in it. Then laugh at the M6 guys.
I'm with this guy. I have an 04 auto, I could care less about the hood and extra 17 cubes I'm giving up
Old 12-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Launching!

LOVED my Auto. Absolutely had a blast driving it, but the trans was tuned. I would not hesitate to buy another Auto. A convertor just makes it 100 times better. With that said, there are Manual and there are Auto guys. Both like what they like, and you seem like a manual guy, so go for that.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

I wish I was auto. I hate shifting, and buying clutches. I am near 700rwhp so I might be no help.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Thanks everyone for the input. So this past saturday i went out and test drove 3 LS1 GTO's.

First one was an A4 w/ 70k miles on it. Man oh man. This poor goat was beat to hell. Heavy wear and tear. Smoker with burn marks on the A-pillar. Just in utter bad shape. Stock except for dynomax bullets. It was rocking a airbag fault code right from the go. Gave it some throttle, felt unresponsive. Wouldnt kick down properly. Diff. was whining bad. This was a bad example of an A4, i'll give it that.

Second one was a 6spd w/80k miles. Black with some flowmaster hushpower mufflers. Heavy wear and tear and felt rough but def. better than the A4.

Third one was a 6spd w/ 100k miles. 2 owner. Well maintained. Bone stock (a huge plus for me since most goats nowadays are modded to some degree). I like to build my own cars. This car was quiet and smooth. Everything felt great. Actually purchasing it tomorrow. Trading the Silverado in for it.
Price is a bit above the normal market especially for 100k mile goats going for 8-9K but:

Phantom Black Metallic, Red interior, T-56, Bone stock. Cant find another GTO like this that is stock and in decent condition for the mileage.

Im very excited to own a GTO, even if it has 100k miles on it. A GTO is GTO. Cant wait to start wrenching and adding some power.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

sounds good ! i bought my 04 m6 with 122k miles on it. of course,
we rebuilt the entire top end, but it ran great and it only had 2
previous owners, both had service records for the history of the
car and kept it in tip top shape.

post up some pics once you take delivery !
Old 12-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Teching In

could have got mine for about what you're paying for that 04 with 57k less miles on it. with a stage II Tick performance tranny.. all stock besides the transmission. Oh wells.

Quick Reply: Might purchase GTO, will i be happy with an auto?